Need your help and opinion...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hosspak, Oct 26, 2013.

1. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Has anyone in the IE purchased any chickens from the guy off HW 74 and Ellis? I woke up this morning to a new voice crowing in the coop.... My buff orp "hen" has a cute loud crow. This is the second of four hens (supposed to be hens) that have turned out to be roos... Now I'm very upset for the wasted time and money waiting for the eggs.

I'm getting ready to pack them up and drop in for a visit to the guy I bought them from. Has anyone of you had to do this before. Looking for advice on how to handle this, right now I'm way too angry!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Sexing non auto sexing chicks is never 100% accurate. Even the hatchery experts using vent sexing only claim 90% accuracy to cover their butts.

You could call the guy and ask for refund or possible exchange, at least reduced price for replacement pullet. You never know how accomodating a person will be until you ask nicely.

3. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Thanks, I don't want to make it a confrontation but this is why I'm so upset;
    [​IMG]
    This was taken about a month ago, when I bought the chickens he told me that this sex link was 50/50 chance of being a roo, turns out he is a roo. Knowing what I know now from BYCers that he should have known by the bars that it was a roo as soon as it hatched. I felt duped and he should have known and told me it was a possible hen knowing it was a roo. Now the second of the 4 hens turns out to be a roo.
    [​IMG]
    This buff turned out to be a roo, because HE started crowing this morning.
    Now I'm waiting for a call back from him and taking slow deep breathes....

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, I remember the post on that barred bird........now another one? That just sucks. I'm thinking he really doesn't know anything about birds, with calling that barred bird a sex link and the whole 50/50 thing. I'd definitely call him and see about getting it right. Sorry you're going through this---I hate seeing folks taking advantage of chicken newbies. makes me want to start breeding and selling just so someone honest is doing it!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The barred bird could be a sex link, but the barring indicates that if it is a sex link, it is definitely a rooster.

6. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Thank you all for the support. We just got back from his place. I took my grandkids to keep me in check so I tabled the whole, "You must have your head up....." conversation. But it was there if needed! He did apologize, and swapped out the 2 roos for 2 buff hens (fingers crossed) of the same age and probably the hatch. These definitely look like hens and I also bought 2 black sex link hens, only because he didn't have any golden comets. These are also the same age and from the same hatch. All this is good because the first of those laid her first egg last night (shell-less). Right no now they are in the introduction coop and drawing much attention from the others.

How long should I wait to let them out? When they look accepted or trial by fire, lol.... Again all you BYCers are great, thanks again. [​IMG]

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Doyou have pics of your new birds? Fingers crossed they are all hens for you.

And you should be quarantining all new birds for at least 30 days as far from you existing flock as possible. New birds can come with disease and can infect your existing flock even if they aren't showing symptoms at the moment. Keeping them in quarantine allows you to keep an eye on any potential symptoms so you can act before it spreads.

8. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I will get pics soon. I just wanted to get them clipped and in the transition coop with least amount of stress. In addition, they kinda gross coming out of the box I used.

We checked them there when picking them out (all the biggest, fastest, and fullest). listened for breathing, checked the poop. All have shots, no bugs found. All appear just as healthy and happy as their siblings. But they are separate for now.

Oh crap, another egg count down....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by