Need your help with dog house conversion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greenpeeps, Apr 29, 2009.

1. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    OK so I have my first chicks, 6 of them all hens. I currently have seem living on the enclosed back pourch in a very large dog crate.

We have an old dog house that hasn't been used in years but it is great shape. The masurements are 4' across x 3' deep x 4 feet ( to the bottom of the roof.

I know I would like to raise this off the ground and add two yards for them to run in. I wanted the two yards to help keep the area nicer.

So now what?? If you want to see pictures check out my page - Thanks - Nikki

2. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Nice house! I have one about the same size for my 6 chickens. My husband is going to add a small window, a couple nest boxes on the outside, raise it off the ground and add a roost. Yes, be sure to raise it off the ground. It will help with mice problems.
    sandyj

3. jennmugg

jennmugg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    Cute House!

We have ours off the ground by building it on top of the run. It provides some shade for them during the day, the prelim. pics are on my page.

Do you have ISA's by chance? If so, just by looking at your page, they look like there may be some roos, but I could definately be wrong. How old are they now? I have some pics of my ISA girls on my page.

4. redbugs13

redbugs13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Southwest Washington
    I started with an old dog house I got off of Craigslist. I don't have an actual before picture. but there is one in progress. As well as some when its almost done. We built it up on legs and added some nesting boxes to one side, put a window on the other side and we also made it so that the whole back would open up so I could have better access to the inside for cleaning.

Some what before pic.
    [​IMG]

Side view with nest boxes, the lid is not on cause I was painting it.
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of how the back opens up for full access.
    [​IMG]

This is an overall pic of my hen house with the run. I have 6 chicks and 3 ducks, the ducks will have their own shed to sleep in.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps a little. Good luck with your dog/hen house!!!

5. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Yes I'm pretty sure they are ISA, sex links. I tried to pay attention to the sales clerk, but I was to busy thinking about everything. [​IMG].

On nice days we've been letting the chicks run in a fenced in area in the back yard, there's a make shift thingy for shade.

I would like to add a window to the dog house, but my husband said it was a work of art and not to be altered, in other words he doesn't want to, haha

6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    redbugs13 , boy those dog crates and enclosures SURE come in handy, don't they!!

So....you got the stuff from Craig's list.

h
    m
    m
    m
    m
    m
    m
    m

Are you planning on knocking off.........um........butchering......
    putting down the more "randy" hens?[​IMG]

(Couldn't HELP MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!)[​IMG]

***ducks4you laughs-out-loud-really-loudly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by