1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need your help!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tikkajazz94, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

I need help!

My hens are turning one year May 28. They are Not laying, they only did one round of laying (I mean one days), I give them a Ice cream Bucket full of Grain, what am I doing wrong? Can you please help?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What's in the grain? They need layer feed available to them every day, best if it's available 24/7.
    Are you sure they're not laying somewhere you don't know about?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Wolf, it may be because they started laying because they were at that age, then haven't been because it's cold and the days are shorter in the winter. I'm sure they'll pick up again.
    Please do feed them chicken Layer. Chickens need nutrition for chickens. Don't know if a bucket of grain is a good thing or not. I guess it depends on what kind of grain it is.

4. Tikkajazz94

well, We can't buy Wheat so I put oats Bran (100% bran), and barely. Im Changing size of conatainer I use from a ice cream to a Yellow Bucket (bigger, better) my Friend uses the same size and they lay!

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Layer Crumbles
    Layer Crumbles
    Layer Crumbles

I had the same problem, fed layer crumbles and after 5 days tarted getting eggs.

6. Tikkajazz94

What is that? is it a a type of feed?

7. Tikkajazz94

oh is is 16% Layer Crumbles? I will get my dad to buy me a lot of bags! How long will one bag Feed 7 chickens?

8. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Are you saying that you can not afford Layer Crumbles?

If you are asking what is Layer Crumbles, it is a sack of feed that you purchase at a feed store that is specifically formulated for the needs of a chicken body to produce eggs through it's reproductive system. I also offer mine crushed oyster shell on the side for extra calcium. I think possibly your girls are not getting enough protein to produce for you or else they are laying somewhere other than your coop as someone else suggested.

9. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I've heard at least 20% or more.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Are your chickens in a coop? What kind of coop? Have you been feeding them this grain all this time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by