need your help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by call ducks, Aug 5, 2009.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    hi so next year i am not going to show my runners next year but would like to know if there is a breed that shows better and camer then runners . i am not going to show call ducks as i have showed them before and did not like showing them. This is for 4-H.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi call ducks--I don't know much about showing ducks, but are you talking about a mixed-breed show? And you want to know what kind of duck is more likely to get good marks among other types of ducks?

If so, I would try something like a Magpie or Ancona. They both have very interesting, unique, and attractive markings. Magpies can be hard to show in Magpie-only shows because the markings are hard to perfect, but among other breeds, they may be striking enough to stand out even if they're not perfect. Anconas, like the Magpies, have black & white markings, but theirs are random instead of in specific patches. Both types of ducks are said to be calm and easy-going (as ducks go), though I have no personal experience with them.

Good luck!

Edited to add: And since you're planning ahead, you have time to reserve ducklings from Holderread for next year. He produces some of the best quality birds in the nation, but he also tends to sell out. Do a Google search for Holderread waterfowl and he'll turn up. You have to print the form and mail it in snail mail, but it's worth it for the quality. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  3. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    ahhh i live in canada love it hear i am veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery limited to what we have around hear [​IMG] [​IMG] and would like to know more common breeds that "show" and are a nice breed to handle ? any ideas ?

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sorry--I don't know what breeds are common up there. Could you provide a list of breeds you know are available, and we can tell you what we know about them?

5. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:Hi there. I am from Canada too. I'm not sure where exactly you are. Butr I can say the most common ducks around here are muscovies and Rouens. I also see some runners and cayugas but not as many. I would sat Pekins are the most common of all.

6. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    yes we have few pikins around here. i am in N.S.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: