Need your opinion about the Chocolate coloring in this Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jmhappycowboy, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    I need the experts opinions about the chocolate colored feathers in this Bantam Orpington pullet. She is out of a Blue rooster and a Black hen. Last year I didn't notice any of these chocolate colored feathers in her but today was taking some pics and noticed all of these chocolate colored feathers scattered throughout her body. Is it possible she will eventually turn out to be chocolate? Is it possible for her to produce chocolate colored chicks? And if so what should I put with her to have a better chance to get chocolate Orps?

Thanks for any info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm no expert with genes - But what I see is a repeat of someone else's accident as well. In this thread, Tony crossed blue and black and got a bird that was entirely chocolatey colored. Chocolates cannot be made, though, so - It technically is not chocolate, but you could possibly cross it with a black to get some more splits out. Now with that few of brown feathers, I'm not sure. With this being the second incident of someone crossing these two and getting this, it makes me want to do it. [​IMG]

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    She looks more black than chocolate .

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think that perhaps she has sunburned feathers rather than chocolate or dun?

5. jmhappycowboy

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Quote:I don't think it is sunburned feathers as she is in a cage inside of my barn and has been for quite some time and is not in any direct sunlight.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Feathers can also fade just from being old. I have lots of blue birds and see it all the time.

I also think that red leakage is also a possibility.

7. jmhappycowboy

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Thanks for the replies, pips&peeps I was wondering about the old feathers.

8. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    I get the same thing once in awhile with my blue wyandottes. I have splash a rooster that has alot of kahkiness in him and sometimes my mind goes on a what if moment. I also have blues that show the dun or choc coloring in them usually older birds. It's cool looking. Mike

9. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    A few of you mentioned the word "old", are you all refering to the birds age as in years or to the age of the feathers as in getting close to molting time?
    I took the pic of my brown hen as she was just beginning to molt in October, so her feathers were "old". Her "new" feathers grew in the same color brown. She was hatched last summer, so shes around 18 months old.
    I`ll post recent pics of her tomorrow. Thanks all.

10. jmhappycowboy

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Ok have just remembered this hen has not to long ago finished a molt, she has just went back to laying. Someone said something about old birds not sure if you mean the old feathers as mentioned earlier or if your talking about the birds actual age. The little hen is 15 months old if thats what you are talking about.

I think I will just put her with a good black rooster i've got and see what I can get or maybe see if I can find a chocolate or dun colored wyandotte rooster to put with her, not sure but I think I will try and do something and see if I can get some chocolate colored orps.

Thanks for all the comments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by