Need your opinion ~ I was offered 3 chickens for FREE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Julie_in_PA, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    I did ask this question in chat also ... THANKS TO ALL WHO GAVE ME YOUR OPINIONS !!! [​IMG]

But I have further questions about, so figured while I'm posting I'd get everyone else's opinion to.

Question : A lady offered 3 chickens to me for FREE. They're approx 2 - 2 1/2 years old. They're not laying "right now" (molting?). The lady is local, so gas $$ isn't a concern ... so I'm not loosing out in any way, but I would want them mainly for laying eggs, so that's the most important thing to me. So at their age - are they worth getting ??

Question 2 : How do you transport chickens ? I had my peeps shipped to me before, but I personally have never transported large chickens. How is it done ? Can they all be together ? Or will they fight ? I have enough crates to keep all three of them seperate, however it would work. So how do I do it ?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Do you have other chickesn already?

You can transpor them in a cat carrier - they will be too freaked out to do any damage to each other.

2 1/2 years old they are on their way to slowing down as far as laying goes. You would probably get an egg every other day....

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Free is free. Even if they're only laying 2-3 eggs a week, that's SOME eggs for FREE. Get them. [​IMG]

4. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Yes, I have other chickens [​IMG] I have 28 total ... 17 hens and 11 Roos, but 10 roos will be "gone" soon.

Free is free. Even if they're only laying 2-3 eggs a week, that's SOME eggs for FREE. Get them

I agree, but at the same time - if they're NOT laying eggs much, would they be worth the cost I'll be putting into feeding them ?​

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Free is a good price and if you have room...why not? [​IMG]

6. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I have a four year old BR and until she started molting she was laying an egg almost every day. Even when she only three eggs a week, they are very large. I guess because she is older, but they are beautiful eggs.

Go for it! [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hi Julie

You will have to keep the new one quarantined for 4 weeks away from your others to make sure they aren't sick. And I agree - free is free - I just wanted you to know you probably won't get an egg a day.

GO FOR IT!

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I'll take the opposing view. Why introduce strange birds to your flock if they aren't laying? There have been plenty of horror stories about new birds infecting a whole flock on BYC not to mention the chaos it may cause in pecking order. Your chickens may not take to the new birds or vice versa. I'd hardly say it's worth the risk. What exactly are you getting? About $20 or less in value?

I wouldn't do it....

9. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Ok, well I'm going for it [​IMG] I told the girl yes, I'll take them. I might be picking them up tomorrow.
    When I do bring them home ... I will have to figure out how to keep them seperate. My other chickens are penned up in a chicken coop - they're NOT free range (I let them out sometimes, but not on a regular basis ... I don't trust my dogs) anyway, in other words - they could've obtain access to my other chickens since my other chickens are in their own coop that's totally enclosed. So could I just let these 3 new ones free range and have access to get inside my barn ? Or would they run off being new ? Or is there another reason that wouldn't work ?

10. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    I'll take the opposing view. Why introduce strange birds to your flock if they aren't laying? There have been plenty of horror stories about new birds infecting a whole flock on BYC not to mention the chaos it may cause in pecking order. Your chickens may not take to the new birds or vice versa. I'd hardly say it's worth the risk. What exactly are you getting? About $20 or less in value?

I wouldn't do it....

We must've been typing at the same time, because your post wasn't there before I created my reply ... so I didn't get to read it until now.

That was one thing that was "holding me back" ... but I figured I could quaranteen them. Read my last reply and let me know your opinion/s on how to quaranteen and to keep my current flock safe, etc.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by