Need your suggestions on what the heck to do!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CountryMom, Aug 5, 2008.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Songster

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, so I have been incubating Coturnix Quail eggs. Now, I have one chick that is a day old - going on two. I am doubtful, but still waiting on the rest of the eggs. My kids have named him "The Lone Peep." As you can imagine we have several funnies starting. "Adventures of The Lone Peep Bound for the Table!" [​IMG] I am sitting here today with it raining out so I have been watching him more in his little storage bin brooder. Poor baby. He/she/it lays down and sleeps - looks dead. Then gets up and peeps his head off. He got the tears this afternoon and ran up and down the side of the bin (it is the long kind) flapping his stubby wings. If you go speak to him or go near his bin he runs to you bounces off the side and peeps jumping up wanting attention. What in the world am I going to do with this chick??? I can't put him with my Bobwhites. They are vultures and much older than he is. I do have a couple of Bobwhite eggs in the incubator, but still they are not the same breed. We have the chick with a little stuffed pillow for playing with and a stuffed animal. He tries to use them as a trampoline which goes horrible wrong. LOL I feel so bad for the poor little peep!

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Put him with the Bob whites when they hatch,also use a little mirror.
    Thats all i got......I aint got no more......

oh wait maby one more thing...where are the pics?

3. CountryMom

CountryMom Songster

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
  4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    oh i thought you had some hatching thats the ones i ment you should put em in with not the adults...

5. CountryMom

CountryMom Songster

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I do have bobwhites that will hatch the end of the month - if all goes well. However, I have been very surprised at my jr bobwhites in how brutal they can be. I just put one down last night before they ate him. Oh it was gross. I have read that about them and that coturnix are not as mean. Maybe I am wrong. But that still means this poor fellow is going to be by himself for the rest of the month. My husband just this morning called from work. (He is overseas working on a rig.) Anyhow, he thinks I should call the breeder and see if he has anything. And to ask why the hatch went so wrong when I was so watchful and got the right temps and humidity.

6. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Calling the breeder might be your best bet at getting another little one.Try on buy sell trade also if you havent allready for anyone closewith a little one.Also craigs list or freecycle.

7. pixiechick

pixiechick Songster

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    put a fuzzy stuffed animal in there for him to cuddle up with until you find him a buddy. Noone likes to be lonely.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: