1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Your Suggestions..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NestingHillsSC, Feb 1, 2012.

1. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I bought 4 chickens from a guy at the flee market a month ago. 2 of them got sick and died. I bought 6 more from the same guy and after 3 days half of them are doing the same thing. Gasping for air, runny nose sleeping all day. My wife thinks they may be something in that area. But I think if it were they all would get sick.

I think this guy sells bad chickens!!!! The 6 I just bought he didn't even know what half of them were. [​IMG] He says he buys them at sales. So he must buy these chickens form different people then throws them all together. It's a wonder I'm having problems. I don't know how many times I can keep going through this. Chicken raising has been a nightmare so far. I should be patient and just but the chicks from a hatchery. Then at least I know what I got.

Well gave these 3 wormer today. See if this helps.

I guess what I am asking is you think it's just the chickens from this guy??

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sounds like his chickens are carriers of a respiratory infection. There are many discussions about this kind of stuff - do a search here for it. You may end up having to cull all your birds, properly clean everything, then restart with chicks. Or, you treat it, live with it, but don't bring any others into your flock. I certainly wouldn't buy any more from him. Good luck!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Respiratory disease in chickens is definitely common, as you read all the threads on BYC you will find. However, most of us try to not spread it around any more and keep a closed flock if that is the case.

If you do buy chickens it is even recommended to quarantine for a month. Even then there are diseases that render a chicken an asymptomatic carrier. So it is complicated and I think most people do try to do right by others.

It is possible that the seller doesn't even realize that a chicken is sick when he resells it, as the stress of the move can make a chicken relapse with chronic respiratory disease.

If you are interested in finding out exactly which disease it is, a necropsy can be sent off (dead chicken) for testing. You might get a vet involved if you are interested in spending the money. Others try to medicate without involving a vet and there are threads on here about treatment of chronic respiratory disease.

If you are interested in treating them, let those who are reading the thread know so that we can point you to relevant threads if possible. If it is a chronic thing, the treatment might make it go away for awhile but when the chicken gets stressed again it can recur. I want to say that I don't know that your chickens HAVE a chronic respiratory disease. But the runny nose might indicate that. I don't have the experience needed to diagnose it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I have read sooo many threads here and everywhere I just get more confused. I work on the weekends at that flee market. So when I bought them I had a huge dog kennel with me. Put the 6 in there and watched them. Found that one had the cough and sneeze and sleepy. So I took that one back and got a totally different one. One of the ones that are sick actually layed another egg today. She has layed 3 in 4 days. The RIR. [​IMG]

I gave them all Valbezen wormer today. I'll see how that will go.Plus I put Vitamins and electrolytes in there water. I will see how they are doing. Wait a few days. I have Tylan 50 I can give them. Last time nothing worked though.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It sounds like you are doing all you can. Some people are not set up for quarantining and just take their chances, especially with a small flock.

I hope things get better for you and your flock.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I see you are new to chickens, and I am fairly new as well. Buying chickens at flea markets generally is not a good idea, as they often may have underlying respiratory illness that is hard to see until you get them home and the symptoms start showing. From what I've read on this site and elsewhere, respiratory illness can be hard to treat, and many times can never be cured. Although the symptoms can be controlled for periods of time, the chickens will always be carriers, so that if you introduce new chickens to your flock, they will become infected as well. Many folks will cull their entire flock, clean and sterilize everything well, and then start again. I honestly don't know what I would do if my flock became infected, as I am much too attached to each of my hens, zany creatures that they are. If you search respiratory illness on this site you will find a lot of good information on treatment, and hopefully someone with more experience than I can give you some advice on good treatment options. Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  7. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Well this morning there all the same if not a bit worst. I wonder if I should just give them a good shot of Tylan 50. I guess it can't hurt. If I don't do something there just going to die. The other 3 are doing good still.

8. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    That's what I would do...but I'm pretty aggressive when it comes to treatment. Remember, if it's respiratory, they'll probably still be carriers so you'll probably not want to add to your flock. Good luck!

9. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    What about the other 3. Wonder why there not sick???

10. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I wonder if our water can have something to do with it? We can't drink it if it's not run through the filter in the house. Taste like a rubber hose!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by