need your veterinary suggestions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by domenica, Oct 24, 2015.

1. domenica

domenica Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Europe
    Dear old and new BYC fellows,
    I had ordered an adult gander. Yesterday I took him home. When they put him in my boot I didn't notice how he was entangled.

I thought he was held by some ribbon or something. Nope! When I arrived quickly back home, I tried to release him. His legs were as I thought at least, but the wings were crossed together like two Xs, they were tangled, he was held by his own wings, he had no bands there. I don't know how else to describe it. I don't know what the previous owner was thinking. He must have been a stupid person!

Well yesterday until today he is moving his wings perfectly well and he opens them frequently in order to stretch but his right wing is injured and I don't know how to fix this. Please help if you have experience. I assume it is not a broken wing because I noticed no fractures when I examined it thoroughly with my hands. But I am not a vet, fist of all we have no vets specialized in big birds in my country. Only in dogs, cats, canaries, horses... His left wing is normal.

I am looking forward to your responses since I am a bit desperate. I'd like him to recover fast. I don't want him to be left with an abnormal wing.
    Shall I write an email to an expert in another city/country? P.S.: He is the grey one in the pictures.

Thank you all in advance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe that he is dealing with nothing more than a muscle strain that will resolve with no treatment. I have seen people 'cross wings' to immobilize a bird - a cruel and unnecessary practice in my estimation.

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any improvement?

4. domenica

Sep 21, 2014
    Europe
    Oh thank you so much!!! YES he is awesomely well finally!
    Thank you again for writing, and, for your concern! You made me feel better when I read your reply! It was exactly as you said it... :)

5. domenica

Sep 21, 2014
    Europe
    P.S.: by the way now: he is healthy, strong, beautiful and happy, running & playing around with his future lady goose... (I think he already chose one) He's got a good taste! hahaha

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Happy to hear he is doing good now, How about some pics of your geese. I'd love to see them.

7. domenica

Sep 21, 2014
    Europe
    Now as you wrote to me at another thread, I have my favourite female duck really sick. :-(
    I hope when she is better and when I am done with all that, pictures will come hopefully.
    I am so unaware of duck problems or diseases, I am a fairly new breeder and I panic so easily about my babies!
    I replied to my other thread as well. Thanks for all your concern, really!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I look forward to pics @domenica and I will go look at your other thread.

9. domenica

Sep 21, 2014
    Europe
    Hello to you all, again!!! Here are the pictures I had promised, sorry for uploading them now.
    I am very happy to present you my pet family!
    My black Swedish duck is fine now. Here she's quite dirty because she and my drake have been naughty so he left his marks on her haha. (After mating and grazing they all went to swim so they are all clean and happy now...)
    You see here their two children as well, (a male and a female), the ones that are grazing next to my geese. The white goose is my female one and the grey is my gander. The third one is my small goose, she is an adult goose but her breed is unknown to me. She is significantly smaller than my Embden goose and has grey eyes. My Embden has blue eyes, is huge and completely white. My gander looks like an Embden gander, he is as huge as my Embden goose and a bit taller, has clear blue eyes but is almost grey, as you see in the pictures... I wonder what breed he is, but about my small goose I have to admit I am really curious. Let me know if you have any ideas please! Thanks and thank you for your replies back then :) once again!
    I have to say they all grew up together so my ducks and geese never fight. I am very proud of that too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Nice pics!
    Grey eyes means that either the father or mother of that goose was brown in colour.
    She looks just like my female EmbdenXToulouse goose.
    Good to hear all is going good [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by