*NEEDED* 2doz+ chick eggs for classroom all have homes

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by MrsWright, Mar 7, 2009.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    I am looking for hatching eggs for my sons classroom. The teacher has already sent out flyers to make sure that they will all have homes once hatched.
    This is a small country school in a rural area, so most families already have chickens. :eek:)
    It doesn't matter if they are mutts. Would prefer meat birds and egg layers though, as this is what most of the families will use them for. I am hoping to get them within 2 weeks so that they hatch just before spring break in the classroom.

~Thanks~

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If youre in a rural area, I would think you could find plenty of eggs locally. You'll have a much better hatch rate with non-shipped eggs, and you won't have any shipping charges. Can you contact your local Ag extension agent? Im sure he could find you some.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    We live in a agricultural area. We actually have lots of chicken farms around here, mainly Foster Farms.
    I didn't think that they have fertile eggs for sell though.
    Most of the people around here that have chickens only have a few, just enough for their family not enough for producing 2 doz eggs at a time for the classroom.
    I have checked with the local feed store, but they were very pricey!
    I just don't know anyone with that many chickens. I have always ordered mine and have had great hatch rates. I hatched 7 ducks in december out of 12 eggs and they came from Texas to California.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Have you tried an ad on your local Craigslist? It would also help if you'd put your location in the title.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  5. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I sent you a PM. [​IMG]

Angela

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I was going to suggest craigs list as well. You could also put in a word with your local feed stores. They know who buys chicken feed and could possible hook you up with someone with local eggs.
    Hate for the kids to get disappointed because shipped eggs didn't hatch well
    Good luck though and I hope you get some great eggs!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Quote:where about in california are you from tomorrow i will be getting around mayby 40 eggs if you are close enough i can share with you

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    yeah.. WHERE in calif??? you can come to my place and pick up as many as you want... i could send a few too...
    i have
    cuckoo marans. &(and cuckoomaranX EE)
    blue cochin..
    st. OEG &(OEG X andalusian)
    brown egg layer mixes
    all kinds of bantie mixes.. including seabrights, frizzle, ameracauna,

i am getting low hatch rates from the marans and cochins right now because the roosters are young and doesnt look like they know what they are doing yet... but i have hatched some from both of them 2 weeks ago...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by