1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Needed--Barred Rock pullet pictures

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redneck, Jun 25, 2008.

1. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    I have ordered 7 Barred Rocks and 7 Black Giants. Well now I cant tell them apart. They are right 4 weeks old and I have a few with white starting to show. It is in a checker board fashion. I am thinking that these are my BR's. I will take some pictures and post them.

2. poopcoop

poopcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    She is about 12 weeks old in this picture. She had a white spot on her head when she was a baby and we named her Gizmo. I don't know if this will help.

Ray

[​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

How old are they? If they are still small the barred rock will have a white spot on the head. They don't anymore by 3-4 weeks...then you start seeing barring

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe you should post a pic. Barred Rocks are striped/barred, not checkerboard. And they show barring on the first wing feathers way before 4 weeks old.

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    The Black Giants were always bigger than my Barred Rocks. The Black Giants look like they are wearing a tuxedo but the Barred Rocks don't. And my Giants started getting white tips on their wing tips where my Barred Rocks didn't. But both breeds were very flippant. Now at 5 weeks there is a huge difference in appearance since the Barred rocks are very well barred. You should be able to see the barring by now on your Barred Rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by