Needed Pictures of Wheel Assemblies for Chicken Tractor

llamagirl

Chirping
15 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Western NC
I'm new to this and would like any pictures of wheel assemblies for a Chicken Tractor. Some seem to complicated. I am not a carpenter but, my neighbor is and is advising me on materials. Chicken Tractor will be mostly on a hill side so, I was thinking one end with wheels and then removing them after I move the tractor. Would like to move it everyday for fresh grass. Will make the run removable from the coop but, we will see how easy or hard it is to move first.:
hmm.png

If you look at my tractor (go to my personal page and click on the tractor page link) there is a photo of how bolts are inserted into the bottom frame to be used as axles for the (removeable) wheels.

The simplest thing really is just to stick an appropriate length/diameter bolt thru the frame, pop a lawnmower wheel on it, and hold it on with a wingnut. Use large washers between everything to keep bolt from pulling thru and to let wheel turn freely. Works good.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thank you so much. I remembered looking at your coop before because of the drop board and your hook for your coop door. Very smart! I am going to build one similar to the Chick-N-Coop but modified somewhat. I may build a frame later to set it on so that the chickens have a run under it like yours. If there are any other do's or don'ts that you have please let me know. I have an old lawn mower that I keep for parts so, this was a great idea!
celebrate.gif

Also, if anyone could advise of keeping this coop as light as possible without it blowing over, I would be obliged. I am going to a salvage place to see what I can come up with as well. I have a piece of ondura that was damaged that I can use for roofing. That might add some weight to it. I thought about using lauon 1/4 inch plywood inside, 2x2 for frame, insulation not sure what, and don't know what I will use for outside yet. Thought about fiberglass sheets or something like that to make it lightweight. Not a carpenter so, I have to keep it simple. I do want to weatherproof so, I can also use it in winter. I do have a stock trailer that I could put the whole thing in as well for the winter. Ideas anyone?:
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom