Needing a little reassurance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jannakaye, Aug 12, 2014.

1. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    I've just moved my five month old game pullet in with my two Cochin bantam hens, one of which is quite contrary. When I first recived Rowan (game chick) I also had her only surviving sibling, and tried to get the younger and more docile of the two Cochins to take them in. At first she was wonderful with them, taking them under her wings and everything, so I thought "okay, they're fine." and left them. Unfortionatly, Rowan's sibling was pecked to death sometime in the night and, of corse, Rowan moved indoors where I became her subsitute mother. We recived two ducklings around that time and since I couldn't hold a constantly peeping cotton ball 24/7 I moved them into the same brooder. Now fast forward five months and the drake is starting to pluck at her feathers, and I know I need to leave her with the hens, but I'm worried about her [​IMG] I watched the trio for some time, (obtaining quite a few misquitoe bites in the process) and poor Rowan is just devistated to be separated from her duck-family, and Jordan, with her dominate self, is not helping the matter. She's only been pecked at twice (don't laugh at me) but I'm still worried! I know, I know, I'm overreacting, but if someone could maybe reassure me? I think I would feel better with someome else's opinion. Thanks in advance!

2. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Forgot to add that Rowan has been in a fenced in run but the hens free range.. Is she going to take a wild journey into the forest when I let her out? She's currently roosting on the edge of the nesting box [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by