Needing advice on a sick duck.

Pics

Lazy Duck

Chirping
Jun 22, 2017
B.C Canada
Good morning!

I am hoping someone might be able to help me help my girl.
This all started on Saturday when we noticed her not acting right out in her run. At first I thought she might be egg bound, so into the basement she went and we did some warm bum soaks. While she was in the soak she began drinking until she vomited and then did the same thing again over and over. Now Im worried about her croup being blocked... I have given her olive oil by syring and even some hair ball stuff for cats. She seemed to be doing better last night before I tucked her in but this morning she hasn't left the water alone and continues to vomit over and over again. Her chest is very extended and she just looks miserable. I am giving her electrolyte water but haven't offered much food. She wouldn't eat scrabbled eggs or cooked noodles that were offered, only her pellets. But she isn't able to keep it down. How do I unblock her???

I'm a new duck mom and she is one of my favourites. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
Pictures taken while writing post. You can see her extended chest.

Attachments

• IMG_4174.JPG
    IMG_4174.JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4177.JPG
    IMG_4177.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 42
@WVduckchick , @Ravynscroft , @Pyxis ?

Sorry for your trouble. Tagged some members who will know what to do.
Did you try gentle massage from the bottom of crop in attempt to dislodge blockage?

Thank you, I appreciate your help!
I have been massaging each time I give her something like the olive oil. I am not honestly sure how often I should be doing this for her but have been about 2 to 3 times a day. Maybe I need to do it more. She is being a very good patient which I know means she isn't feeling well at all.

Thank you, I appreciate your help!
I have been massaging each time I give her something like the olive oil. I am not honestly sure how often I should be doing this for her but have been about 2 to 3 times a day. Maybe I need to do it more. She is being a very good patient which I know means she isn't feeling well at all.
2-3 would be my guess, sorry don't know much about ducks. Sometimes a crop blockage can require surgery:(

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...urgery-with-video.858803/page-4#post-18832106

My guess is most likely she has something blocking her digestive system. Ducks do not have crops like chickens and other birds. Their esophagus expands to allow more food instead. Try giving her some grit or something to cut up the blockage in case it is food related. It's really not unusual for a duck to drink enough it comes back up, but perhaps you should pull the water unless she has eaten. My first question for you is has she been wormed? Ducks and geese are particularly susceptible to capillaria worms which can
eventually block their systems. To worm them you need to use Fenbendazole. If using a 10% solution you will need to give her about .5ml in the mouth. Once a day for 3 days. You can buy this product under the name of Safeguard in a tube for horses or in a small bottle as a goat drench.
The other possibility which is something you cannot fix is if she has a blockage or a twisted intestine. A blockage could be a cancer or any kind of growth. Other questions are if she has been pooping. What consistensy is her poop? Is it off colored? All of these are factors that are important.

My guess is most likely she has something blocking her digestive system. Ducks do not have crops like chickens and other birds. Their esophagus expands to allow more food instead. Try giving her some grit or something to cut up the blockage in case it is food related. It's really not unusual for a duck to drink enough it comes back up, but perhaps you should pull the water unless she has eaten. My first question for you is has she been wormed? Ducks and geese are particularly susceptible to capillaria worms which can
eventually block their systems. To worm them you need to use Fenbendazole. If using a 10% solution you will need to give her about .5ml in the mouth. Once a day for 3 days. You can buy this product under the name of Safeguard in a tube for horses or in a small bottle as a goat drench.
The other possibility which is something you cannot fix is if she has a blockage or a twisted intestine. A blockage could be a cancer or any kind of growth. Other questions are if she has been pooping. What consistensy is her poop? Is it off colored? All of these are factors that are important.

Thank you for replying! This is great information and I appreciate your time.

I have not dewormed them yet. They are about 6 months old now and it didn't cross my mind that it could be a parasite. She is the only one in my small pet flock that is showing these symptoms. I will find a dewormer to eliminate this possibility asap.

She hasn't been to interested in food. Her poops were very soft/liquidy and dark when I brought her downstairs which didn't alarm me as abnormal. Since I have pulled food and all she has is electrolyte water she is pooping water, with no colour but she is pooping. Would I see worms in her poop if she had them?

How would I confirm the twist or the mass??

Thank you again.

Last edited:
@Lazy Duck so sorry your duck is having issues... @casportpony can hopefully give advice on blockage treatment... I would wait and see what she says...

To worm them you need to use Fenbendazole. If using a 10% solution you will need to give her about .5ml in the mouth. Once a day for 3 days.

Unfortunately, that dosage is *not* accurate... .5cc is only enough for a 2 lb bird... link below that Miss Lydia posted has accurate Safeguard dosage in post #15...

Back
Top Bottom