1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Needing advice! Pet chicken is sick.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TnChickenGirl82, Sep 21, 2015.

1. TnChickenGirl82

TnChickenGirl82 New Egg

Sep 21, 2015
    Hey y'all. I need some advice. I have a 5 year old SDW hen that is my daughters pet. We've had her since day 1. The past 2 days she's been acting weird. She's barley eating and drinking and kind of acts like she has allergies. She acts like she's having problems swallowing some and makes a noise like she's trying to sneeze and can't. She does have a little snot in her mouth and nose. I've given her 1/2cc of Tylan 50 each day. My daughter is 8 and this is her best friend. PLEASE HELP. I'm begging. My daughter will be lost without her chicky. She even sleeps with her every night. The hen hadn't been around any of our other chickens. She's just sitting around all day.

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Have you wormed her lately??

I wonder if shes got Gape Worms, If you can look down her throat you should be able to see little Vein like worms. My Rooster had them just recently, Apparently Tylan won't help. One shot of verbatim did the trick for my rooster. He made this terrible sound, almost like a coughing, you can hear like a gargling once the cough like sound stops and they struggle to get air..

If you see nothing check the stool, Try wetting the food making it watery like, see if you can get her to eat that way..

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Tylan won't eradicate gape worms. You can gently probe around the back of her throat with a Qtip, if gapes are present you may see a slight reddish color on the cotton or worms. As I understand it, chickens are infected by eating earthworms. Please post in full detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread- she may have something else at work here.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us, though I wish it were under better cicumstances!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I hope you were able to find the information you needed on the emergencies thread, though from what some of the other posters wrote, treating for worms may be the place to start. Good luck and keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by