Needing Camera Help

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mikarod, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have a Fujifulm FinePixZ that I recently purchased. This camera has done WONDERFULLY with birds that don't have barring. Example:

[​IMG]

However, when I try to take photos of my barred birds, almost all photos are "fuzzy" and don't show the detail like it does in the non-barred birds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just don't get it? Could the barring be throwing off the focus? Or will the camera just not get the quality that I'm after?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hey..i think thats the camera i have....what about using your Macro button?..

3. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    The blurring that I see from the pics you've posted appear to be from motion and not focus. Example, see the 2nd pic down ... look at the birds head ... you can see the corner through the head, that means it moved.

I would recommend trying to pre-focus on something near the bird (in case the colors are throwing the camera off, which I doubt.) and then click the image of the bird.

My camera, for example, you push the shutter button half way to focus, then the rest of the way to take the image. I can focus on, say, a foot ... hold the button half way down still but move the camera to where the bird is in the frame and push the button the rest of the way.

I wish I knew more about your type of camera and the focusing system it uses ... I could be of more help. Try zooming in a bit as well and see if yoiu can get the bird while it is still.

Best of luck to ya!

Peace,

Don

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I noticed something at Shawnee that I might try to get the motion part down. You take the bird and move it in a circle over your head and down again, and over and down...confuses the bird. Will try that to reduce the movement.

It's just that the barring is SO crisp and when I look at the photos of the tails and even legs it seems all "blurry". It's just such a shame. I will go ahead and try the movement reduction.

All I can tell you about the zoom is that it is 3x Fujinon Optical Zoom Lens.

5. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Assuming that your camera is the FinePix Z20fd, there is a control on there that turns on/off the anti-blur (picture stabilization) feature. Essentially, it just bumps up the shutter speed.

The symbol should look like an persons upper torso wish shock waves going out from it. I (personally) would try a few pic's with that on and then try a few with it off ... just to see if there is a difference.

Something else I would suggest, just to see where the issue lies ... is to take a few pictures of something other than an animal that has similar color patterns or banding. A shirt perhaps or a couch ... something that wont move. Also, if you have a tripod, try using that.

Just a few more suggestions ... hope they help!

Don

6. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    My experience with stripes/barres of any kind ..........still shots need to be good and still. No movement. My camera is good but if it it moves...it's blurred.:<) You need to slow down the shutter speed. Like the other gentleman mentioned.....press down halfway to get the camera to kinda focus in hard...then snap when really ready.

7. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    that is just motion blur, shoot the barred in a brighter area or use the flash

8. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    use the "action shot" settings. I take ALL my photos with that setting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by