Needing coop expansion?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by southcitychicks, Apr 6, 2012.

1. southcitychicks

southcitychicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    So here is my current coop (still needs roof covering and paint)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

right now I have four in there, but I just bought 2 easter eggers that are still inside but will have to join the rest in a few weeks. i need a bigger hen house and run dont i? the hen house is about 3 x 4 x 4high and the run is 4 x 8.

2. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    Yes, you will need a bigger space... I really like what you have now! Clever little area built in to hold your stuff

3. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Rule of thumb is 3-4 sq ft per adult bird inside the coop and a minimum of 10 sq ft of run space per adult bird. So, yes, based on what you're adding, you'll need a bigger coop. 6 adult birds x 4 sq ft = 24sq ft. I like to give my birds as much room as possible so they don't get crowded and start picking at each other. Just make sure you can reach the back of the coop for cleaning. I'm currently running into that issue. To add on, I'd take off the human door and storage door and build that section out another couple feet and place the doors back on the new section. Hope that helps.

I really like your current set up. It's very nicely built and the clean out tray is awesome. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    it might be on the small size for the numbers you're talking, but it is very cool. i like it alot.

5. southcitychicks

southcitychicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    thanks all. the coop is modular, so i think i can take off the front or back panel and just add onto the side and replace the piece that we took off. the run is the same way. i will just grab a couple 2x4s and add a section. that will give me a 48sq ft run and a 24 sq ft coop which is right according to the general guidelines.

good thing the new babies are only a week old, I have some time before they are all full-grown and crowded!

6. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Yes, that's the nice part. You have some time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by