needing help on where to purchase a chicken door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arkansaschicks, Jun 24, 2010.

1. arkansaschicks

arkansaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    little rock
    Guys I really need help!!! My husband is about to kill me because I refuse to leave my chickens on the weekends to go to the lake. Since I got my chickens over a year ago I will not be gone cause I have no one to let them out and lock them up at night. I WILL NOT leave them not locked up!! They are my babies!! So, yes I have googled "automatic chicken doors and have found several companies and different doors but I want to pull from this website's experiences. I know a lot of you have maybe made your own doors but I know some of you have bought one. Please I want to find a good reputable company with a good product. I don't want to buy something and have it not work. These chickens are my babies and I want a good door because I am going to be relying on it to lock them up every night safely. I really would appreciate all input!! You guys out there are a great resource!!

2. woodguy

woodguy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Bushwood
    I am going to get one from http://automaticchickencoopdoor.com/ when I can afford it. Some of the people here have bought one from there as well and have had good things to say about it.
    There are also the kits you can buy and add them to an existing door as well but if you're not so inclined to build your own "contraption", I would think this is a very nice and complete door.
    It opens and closes at set times you tell it to and you don't have to worry about the sunlight not being bright enough on cloudy days and so forth. It also comes with everything you need to install it including the timer.
    All you need is a 110 volt AC source.

3. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    What is your coop/run like? Pictures on your BYC page would be helpful. I was considering an automatic door, but I am glad I didnt because although MOST of my chickens retire BEFORE the sun goes down, BUT I have one daredevil Buff Orp hen who loves to stay out until almost dark. She just lingers around the yard peacefully and goes in when she darn well feels like it. I would not know when to set an automatic door to close because I have no idea when she goes in. Before I go to bed, I go out and close the door to the run. The coop door is ALWAYS open to the run except in the winter when it gets well below freezing, then we close it at night and open again before we leave for work.

If your run is fully enclosed and attached to your coop, you don't need an automatic door. IMO [​IMG] My chickens are my PETS, too!!!

4. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    First of all [​IMG] [​IMG] I hear ya. I have a neigbhor I hire but this weekend she will be gone as well as her family. I have a substiute so I can go to my camp trailer. I am a little nervous leaving my girls but it keeps the tension in the house at a low. As you know. Anywho I am looking at this door I have heard good things about. http://chickendoors.com/ I prefer one that opens like a door verses coming down like a guillotine [​IMG]

5. casumm

casumm Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:I was so excited when I first opened that link. It appeared that one might even be able to open and close the door from the iPhone... all for only $180. Turns out, that's just to promote watching their video. Bummer. How cool would it be to have a cam hooked up, see everyone is safely nestled in and close the coop door, all from hundreds of miles away using only your smart phone??? (So much for getting back to nature and simplifying this girls life!!! hehehe)

-chris

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Reinforce your run so they can stay in or out. Maybe your husband will help? Or try harder to find someone to be there.

Either way, what's more important? Your relationship with your husband or your relationship with your chickens?

Sorry to sound mean, but my chickens are not my babies, they are my chickens, and come way lower in the pecking order than my husband! [​IMG]

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Do you have a neighbor? I would reinforce the run or for just 2 days, leave them locked in the coop with lots of food and water.

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    No way would I pass up a weekend at the lake with my hubby to stay home with the chickens! Make sure they have plenty food and water and go and enjoy yourself. They will most likely be safer locked up for a couple of days than with a new untested automatic door anyway.

9. GrandmaCluck

GrandmaCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    I bought my door from chickencoopdoor.com and am very happy with it. My coop door opens to a fenced in run. I too have a late straggler. The time is easy to adjust. I set it for 1/2 hour later than when the last one goes in at night. When I leave for the weekend I just put out lots of food and water and the automatic door takes care of the rest.

10. arkansaschicks

arkansaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    little rock
    THANK YOU for the responses!!!I fully understand both sides here about they are just chickens and what is more important but we live on 37 acres and have LOTS of foxes, raccoons and other predators. My chickens are very important because they are all soooo sweet!! They all sit in our laps and love to be pet. We even have about 6 that fight to sit on your chest and snuggle with their heads on our shoulders. My daughter and I would HATE to come home to a mass killing of 22 very sweet adorable chickens!! I feel very blessed because I even have 3 VERY lovable roosters!!
    I will get pictures up when I figure out how to do it but my fenced chicken area is about an acre with their 12x12 coop in the middle. So they don't have a secured area- just a fence. They are all like clockwork, they want out the same time everyday and are all in the same time everyday. No one hangs outside past the magic hour. Right now in Arkansas you can't leave your chickens in any enclosed area for too long. The heat index here is 110. I know this will sound crazy but my chickens even have air conditioning! It gets very hot here that is why the door is badly needed!! ( I saw the website w/ the picture of the phone and thought the same thing!!! How great to watch and control from the iphone!! Maybe one day soon!!!)
    ** I like the idea of opening like a door and not a guillotine also just kind of wondered about the solar thing- that was my hesitation.
    Thanks again I really appreciate the responses!! This is such a wonderful site especially for me because I am crazy about my chickens I treasure every fun and wonderful moment with my babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by