needing help please pic update

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
I have a few chicks that are 11 weeks old barred rocks and delawares. well anyway the other day we found 2 that have a black wart like thing on their beaks then today we were checking on them and there a few more with the wart like things on them but they are on what will be their combs and around one of thems eye, do my chicks have fowl pox ? and how would they get them and it so cold? there are no mosquitos out.
DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Last edited:
give me a few minutes to go out and try to get one . it is getting dark here the little delaware has them all around its eye but they are flat not raised that much. they look like black warts.

Last edited:
I've never dealt with Fowl Pox, but those don't look too poxish. I'm not sure though. I think Pox is a little more gooey. Isolate the questionable birds and put neosporin on the bumps.

I know some of my birds get little lumps on their nostrils like that too, but they're white and not that large. In my case it's just an injurt that heals and goes away.

they look crusty when you have them and the delaware has them all around her eye and on her head where her comb is growing. there is also another that has one on her beak too right in the same spot, and a barred rock that has one above his eye and then a gooy looking thing in the corner of his eye. I don't know I sent a message to peter brown the chicken dr. I don't know how to treat this . I know if it is pox it has to run its corse but if it is not then I don't know what to do for them. I have iodine that I can put on them, but it is hard to do all of this by yourself, dh at work and dd's wont touch them besides they have class.(college)

Do you have feeders with little holes for them to eat out of? As my chicks were growing out of their chick feeders/metal with covers with portholes, they scraped the tops of their beaks by shoving their heads into the feeder...if so treat with neosporin as suggested and get bigger feeders
smile.png

Hope that's all it is...

nope they have been without them for about 3 weeks now but maybe it was injured before we took them away?

Quote:
In that case it does sound like pox. Fortunately, it looks like Dry Pox and it's not a serious threat. You'll have to clean your coops out really well after the birds start to recover. Give them garlic in their water and apply garlic paste daily to their faces. Clean the scabs with iodine and put vasoline on the eyes to prevent the eyelids from sticking together. An increase in Vitamins A, C, and E helps, and a few drops of eucalyptus oil given orally helps too. They'll be fully immune when the recover, but recovery takes a few weeks.

I will try to get better pictures tomorrow morning of them. I will try to post pics of all of them that have the wart like things.

Back
Top Bottom