Needing help to treat Duckling with Angel wing

Shadee

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2022
Oceanside, Ca
Hi everyone , I recently talked about my rescue duckling, I had a suspicion that my 7 week old ducklings left wing was being affected by angel wing, I took it a vet yesterday. I’m not sure that it has been handled properly, but we now have a “splint” on for lack of a better term.
His wing isn’t contoured toward his body though, and that concerns me. I also need to figure out how to adjust his feed to lower the protein while still getting proper nutrients for his growing 7 week body. I have been feeding Mana Pro duckling crumble that said would be good through 20 weeks of age. I also feed him veggies such as cilantro, cucumbers, strawberry, grapes, grated carrots. I’m not sure about adding grit. When and how much. Any good advice on splitting and nutrition corrections would be appropriated. The vet said he looks great over all besides the wing. I wrote another post because while at the emergency vet yesterday I was very afraid because they wanted to do sedation, but I didn’t feel like as a whole this emergency practitioner new very much about duck and their care. The Avery emergency vet wasn’t in the office when I contacted them yesterday. I am just trying to do the best I can for him. He has been my life for seven and I am his mother. Thanks everyone from one very worried and exhausted mother.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 19
Grit you just put in a separate bowl from feed but close by and they will eat it as they need it. And yes with all the things your feeding he needs grit unless you have him outside where he can find his own.
This is the best info we have on treating angel wing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/angel-wing-treatment.1252014/
Was his wing actually sticking out from his body or is it just his blood feathers coming in?
Poor little one looks totally humiliated in that picture lol

Hi everyone , I recently talked about my rescue duckling, I had a suspicion that my 7 week old ducklings left wing was being affected by angel wing, I took it a vet yesterday. I’m not sure that it has been handled properly, but we now have a “splint” on for lack of a better term.
His wing isn’t contoured toward his body though, and that concerns me. I also need to figure out how to adjust his feed to lower the protein while still getting proper nutrients for his growing 7 week body. I have been feeding Mana Pro duckling crumble that said would be good through 20 weeks of age. I also feed him veggies such as cilantro, cucumbers, strawberry, grapes, grated carrots. I’m not sure about adding grit. When and how much. Any good advice on splitting and nutrition corrections would be appropriated. The vet said he looks great over all besides the wing. I wrote another post because while at the emergency vet yesterday I was very afraid because they wanted to do sedation, but I didn’t feel like as a whole this emergency practitioner new very much about duck and their care. The Avery emergency vet wasn’t in the office when I contacted them yesterday. I am just trying to do the best I can for him. He has been my life for seven and I am his mother. Thanks everyone from one very worried and exhausted mother.
I'm not an expert on angel wing, but bandages are commonly used to hold the wing to the body, to force them to grow in the correct way I believe- Why did the vet want to sedate him?
For lowering the protein, you could add some oats to the feed, but the amount depends on how much protein is in his feed currently and how old he is. I used oats in my duckling feed to reduce the protein level and it worked pretty well!
If he is having treats, he should have access to grit- anything aside from the commercial feed, they need grit to "chew up" and digest. You can get some chick grit for him, from a feed store or possibly online. (smaller crushed up stones and no added calcium, I used the Roostr brand chick grit off of Amazon).
As I say, I'm not an expert, but hopefully some of my thoughts will help and ease your mind a little!
Being a duck mom is hard, but hang in there!
@New duck mommy 2021 has dealt with angel wing before, may have better advice!!

I also need to figure out how to adjust his feed to lower the protein while still getting proper nutrients for his growing 7 week body. I have been feeding Mana Pro duckling crumble that said would be good through 20 weeks of age. I also feed him veggies such as cilantro, cucumbers, strawberry, grapes, grated carrots. I’m not sure about adding grit. When and how much. Any good advice on splitting and nutrition corrections would be appropriated.
Your duckling is old enough to go on duck pellets -- I use purina but other specific for duck pellets will do.

Did the vet say to reduce protein in the diet? I ask because I can find no evidence in the literature that too high protein in the diet is associated with, nor causal of, angel wing. As far as I can tell it is a widely held old wives' tale. The only evidence I can find in the literature related to diet and angel wing is epidemiological evidence that is an association but does not prove causality. Angel wing occurs more commonly in ducks and geese in public parks where they are fed bread, than elsewhere in the wild. A diet high in bread is deficient in protein and important minerals including manganese and calcium. There is likely to be inherent individual susceptibility too, but no evidence I found for specific hereditary causes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom