Needing help with my layers.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jpmyers0518, Jun 22, 2016.

1. jpmyers0518

jpmyers0518 New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    I started with about two dozen layer about a month ago. I was getting 12 to 18 eggs a day. Ten days ago I moved the coop about 100 feet and since that time I am only getting one or two eggs every day. Would a small move like this make such a giant impact or does it sound like I may have an egg eater. Any help would be great. I am new to this.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are you finding any broken shells around? Any birds with "egg on their faces ,beaks?" Considering the chicken brain, 100 ft. may seem like the move of a lifetime.

3. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    what breed(s) do you have? What are you feeding them and how much? Do they have granite grit? How is the water? By that I mean some water can have things like sulfur or iron in it. Have they gone without water for any length of time? Four standard sized birds on average consume a quart a day. Has it been real hot where you are? Do they free range? When you say you moved coop, are they in a tractor? What is measurements on coop and run if they don't free range?

Usually they drop in egg production the seven to ten days after being moved. That is odd yours were OK until just recently.

Egg eating is caused by birds going hungry/thirsty, leaving eggs (not gathering at least once a day) and over crowded, bored birds. Unbalanced nutrition can start it too, like a shell less egg or thin soft shells easily broken. If birds eating you find broken and shells.

Dogs and snakes both tend to take whole egg and ear. Can your dog get to nest boxes? Snake usually only takes two or three ever four or five days.

How are they acting? Did previous owners have any health issues with them? How old are they? Have they been dewormed lately or did previous owners deworm? Anybody acting broody?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - I'd check around your property for eggs and also have a DD type investigation.

Good luck

CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Hmm, yes, thinking you would be seeing some egg and shells here and there, especially with that many. Did it get real hot where you are all of a sudden? Heat can slow them down.

6. jpmyers0518

jpmyers0518 New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    What is a dd investigation?

7. jpmyers0518

jpmyers0518 New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    I have kept their feeding consistent...laying pellets and oyster shells. Temp here in PA has been consistent as well. I had noticed a few broken eggs a few weeks ago but have to seen any evidence to indicate that agaom. Truly at a loss.

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

Sorry, I should have been clearer. DD meant @drumstick diva. Apologies

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by