1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Needing help with our sick hen...thank you

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovin my girls, Jan 24, 2011.

1. lovin my girls

lovin my girls Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2009
    Hi All,

Our Ruby is not feeling well as of yesterday. She is just wanting to sit around and all puffed up.

It's like she doesn't want to sit down all the way.

We checked her vent for egg-bound and didn't feel anything. Also, we went to Tractor Supply yesterday and put antiobiotics in their water.

This morning there was some unusual poo under her...we've never seen this before.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/jonewee/Picture695.jpg

I am so worried, does anyone know what might be wrong?
    Thank you for any help.
    Cathy

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have some links that you can look at. it might take me a while to get them all up so look back at this post when you are done with this link.
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=poos&action=display&num=1158478320

http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=poop&action=display&thread=7588

http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-diseases-and-disorders.html

I hope this helps. They become special. pets. family. We feel responsible for them and try our best.
    I hope you can help her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    Thank you so much. Going to look at the links now.

Sure appreciate you

4. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    bumping up for help, please

5. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    Could the symptoms and the poo picture I posted be a sign of Blackhead?

Thanks.

6. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    I need help so bad...anyone have any idea.

I posted a link to see a picture of her poo.

Thank you for any help.
    Cathy

7. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have been at work, or i would have tried harder for you. I do not know what it is. I have not had that. does it smell? Is it foamy? go up to the blue bar where it says index and the forth one over says search. Click on that, then enter all the words that you can think of that describe her poo. If nothing comes up then describe her symptoms. I wish I knew more. I tend to learn it as I have emergencies myself.
    I hope someone can help.

is Ruby a chicken or a turkey? I think only turkeys get blackhead. It is a protozoan that lives in chickens and doesn't bother the chicken, but the turkeys pick it up in chicken droppings.
    okay, I went back and looked at blackhead... dunno. What do her comb and wattles look like? any noticeable change?
    I am not a big believer in buckshot medication, but if no one can find you a better answer, then medicate for protozoans to be on the safe side. I am leaning to coccidiosis, but I need more info to try and help you.
    I wish gritty was here. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Hey, I am bumping this so maybe the gritsar will see it.

9. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Does that poop seem to be "egg like". Hard for me to tell from the pic. It could be that she has a broken egg inside her. If you see foamy poop or very yellow poop, this can be the problem... Is she eating?

10. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    My Rose had this same problem. She wasn't moving around much and her "droppings" looked just like that. Stuff was just dripping out of her and she was sleeping in odd places.
    Rose was new to laying eggs - I am wondering if that was her problem.
    Anyway, I brought her inside and gave her a warm bath - her rear end was a mess - I blow dried her (she loved it) and let her take a nice long nap in the bathroom to make sure she was really dry. For a few days I just kept a close eye on her and fed her things that she liked. She didn't seem to eat much but she did like bread and raisins. It took about a week but she is finally back to her old self.

Good luck with your Ruby. I'm sure that someone here will be able to help you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by