Needing help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by barton1, Mar 13, 2015.

1. barton1

barton1 New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    I am trying to raise my own chickens buy egg today I got up and I could hear the egg chirping what should I do next hatching day is tomorrow

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch! :jumpy Do you have the eggs in lockdown? Make sure your humidity is high 65% or so, and just leave the eggs alone to hatch (don't open the incubator again). (Remember if you have them in a turner, to take them out or turn it off.) There is a great article in the Learning Center on Hatching Eggs you might want to check out https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 And check out the Incubating and Hatching Eggs forum if you have any questions https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Do you have an incubator? The egg needs to be kept at 99.5f for a fan incubator and 101-102f for still a air incubator and have high humidity at least 65% for it to have a chance of hatching. Too low humidity and the chick could become stuck in the shell.
    Here is an article that's very useful for explaining the hatching process https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Good luck, I hope your egg hatches for you :fl

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

As long as the humidity and temperature are fine, leave the egg alone. Make sure that the turner is off and that the humidity stays at 60-70%. It should hatch well on its own.[​IMG]

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can. [​IMG] There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for. [​IMG] You got some good advise from the other members! I hope that chick hatches with out any problems.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. hotmail

hotmail New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    Hi my name is Natalia and I have a chick and is loosing hair from its neck I just wanted to know if that was natural thank you

8. hotmail

hotmail New Egg

Mar 13, 2015
    Um can I ask you a question

9. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi Natalia :welcome

How old are your chicks? Have they started growing feathers yet? Or do they still have just chick fluff?

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way. Welcome to the flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by