Needing ideas/photos of chicken tractors transformed to stationery coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ElleninDublin, May 25, 2019.

1. ElleninDublin

ElleninDublin Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Eugene, OR
    We got a good deal on a very well made A frame chicken tractor (it's almost new). I want to make it into a secure small coop. I have an idea of what I want, but wonder if anyone else has done this. I'm thinking about raising it up and building around it. It has a very secure & good roof. Ideas? Photos? Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    This was a tractor I turned into a Grow-Out Coop. It did not have a floor in it. I set four treated corner posts kind of level, then put horizontals on the sides of those posts all around and used those for final leveling. Then I attached 1/2" hardware cloth on top of those for my floor. Next I set the tractor on top and used some splice boards to hold it in place in a high wind. Those bins underneath were to collect the poop though I could have just as easily raked it.

G-O Coop.JPG
    The above photo was warmer weather. The one below was the winter set-up. I wrapped it to stop cold breezes. I had a lot of good ventilation on top.

Growout.JPG

jthornton and ElleninDublin like this.
  3. ElleninDublin

ElleninDublin Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks! This is kind've what I'm thinking, but going to put the run around it after I raise it up. Thanks for the example!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, photos, please ;)
    Where run off from roof goes will be essential.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: