needing natural preservative for dog treats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ozark hen, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I make homemade dog treats without preservatives but my sis in Florida who owns her own grooming shop, wants me to send her a case of treats with preservatives and labels with detailed description of ingredients and such. Can anyone help me? I mean do I need to put on the vitamin values such as you would find on human food products? I would have no idea how much percentage etc. I read where you can use Vit. E but have no idea how much or if it is the reg. Vit. E capsules for humans??? Anyone have any info??

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It is human grade vitamin e and not topical vitamin e that is used. If it is dog cookies or like that you are refering to, then the equivalent on one capsule in a gallon size mixing bowl is in the general ballpark.

3. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Thanks so much!!

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    There are laws and regulations regarding the labeling of food products and you need to go to the following site to determine which if any apply to your product (they are different for each state)
    http://www.fda.gov/cvm/prodregulation.htm

There are special laboratories that can do an analysis for your label for instance:
    http://www.unityscientific.com/industry/feed.htm

Domt let all this scare you off...if I were you I would simply write to the appropriate agency and explain your situation (after all this is not a commercial FEED per se but more a supplement and ask them for advice. It is amazing how helpful these ppl can be at times and they can advise you far better than I or else they will know best and can give you links to further help you.

I will have a look at preservatives but I would ask the FDA for advice on who best to help you determine the correct one for your product.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ...this is interesting:

Natural Preservative Discovered in Grape Seed
    URBANA - Food technoilogists at the University of Illinois have discoverd that Grape-seed extract is a viable, natural food preservative.

Grape Seed extract has natural preserving properties with uses for pre-packed and ready-cooked pork products.

Research, headed by Professor Susan Brewer, at has demonstrated that the extract, a by-product of fermentation, can be uses successfully to preserve meat quality in pre-cooked, frozen and refrigerated ready-to-eat meals as an alternative to synthetic ingredients.

The study published recently in the Journal of Food Science, shows that the extract's preserving qualities are mainly due to phenolic compounds

Antioxidant properties
    "We've known for years that certain natural compounds, including some herbs and spices, have powerful antioxidant activity. Food scientists have been trying to isolate the flavoring parts of these spices from the components that have the functional effects we're looking for," she said.

The professor was initially very skeptical about the research, but after three successful studies on its preservating potential with meat products, she is convinced that Grape Seed extract offers the food porcessors a viable alternative to synthetic ingredients.

The food industry relies on synthetic preservatives - such as BHA, BHT, and TBHQ - to maintain the quality of meats in pre-cooked foods and ready meals. These ingredients slow down the oxidation of fats. However, Brewer's study show that grape seed extract may be an even more effective antioxidant.

The research compared the natural antioxidants of oregano, rosemary, and grape seed extract and evaluated their effectiveness in cooked, reheated beef and pork at different concentrations, for different lengths of time, and at different temperatures.

The meat was then evaluated for oxidative markers and sensory attributes by a 10-member panel. "The higher concentration of grape-seed extract yielded better results than we see with synthetics, which is certainly not what you'd expect. Synthetics, after all, have been engineered to maximize effectiveness, but sometimes Mother Nature comes up with a better product."

No taint
    Another plus was that the sensory panel couldn't detect grape-seed extract in the products it tested, whereas foods containing oregano and rosemary retained an herbal odor. "They must be carrying some of the volatile aroma compounds at low levels," the researcher said.

Studies are ongoing in Brewer's lab, this time comparing the efficacy and sensory qualities of natural versus synthetic antioxidants.

"I really think grape-seed extract is a viable, natural way to preserve meat quality in the precooked entrees that are so popular now," she said. "And, when companies can use the word natural on a label, it's attractive to consumers. It takes some of the guilt out of using a convenience food."

6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Diana, I question the use of grape seed since grapes can lead to kidney failure and death to dogs?? I think for human consumption I would consider it. LOL
    Thanks, this all seems very overwhelming to just make dog treats doesn't it? I will check it out though, I knew you would come up with detailed sources and I thank you very much! You are such a wonderful addition to this site. Or for that matter, to a friendship [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by