1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEEDING NEW HELP PG2! ASAP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    This baby has been trying to get through the membrane since somtime lastnight and never zipped once piped at about 11-12 lastnight. I decided to help a bit I risked open the bator but quickly did it and covered bator with a towel lost no temp or humidity. I peel some of the egg off to the air cell found the babys beak and peeled back the membrane wetting it with warm water. Once i got the beak exsposed I put it back into the incubator because I saw some blood.

WHAT NEXT?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They often sit 24 hours or more after pipping, so you really jumped the gun here. Just leave it alone and hopefully it will be alright.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I know I know, don't be to harsh on me..this is my first hatch doing this myself. My heart really went out to this baby because it has tried so hard to get out.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:They take 24 hours or longer sometimes for a reason. They need to pip and rest , finish absorbing the yolk sac and learn to breathe in air. You will just have to have patience, it's wait and see. Probably hit a vein that circles the shell, he should be okay. Hugs!

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    should i put a lil bit of wet warm paper towel on it?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:We aren't trying to being harsh we have all been in your shoes, it's a learning game with hatching!! Patience! [​IMG]

No opening the bator, you will ruin the rest of your hatch. He should be fine. Just because you think you haven't let the temp and humidity go down sometimes that is not the case.

7. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

It gets easier to wait, after your first hatch. My first hatch...well I will tell you a secret...shhh don't tell anyone....k.

I helped all 5 that hatched out. The 6th one was already dead when I helped.

My second hatch...I don't think I helped any.

My third hatch...I helped 2 hatch and I they were both deformed and so I had to cull them anyway.

I think I really learned my lesson with the 3rd hatch, it was hard to have to fix my mistake.

Good luck!

Read a book......it will help take your mind off of them...better yet leave the house, go shopping.

8. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Sometimes chicks do need to be helped. I have done this with some of my best birds (going on 10 years old now). Always lay the egg on a damp cloth to keep the humidity as it should be. Definately do stop if you see any fresh blood at all. I most recently did this with two dark Brahma chicks that pipped at the small end of the egg. They are two weeks old now and growing bigger every day.
    Best of luck with your hatch!

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    After deciding to help this guy after watching him struggle he pulled hiself out he lived for an hour and died. He seemed to have a swelled neck What would cause this? Here is some pics. I am so sad I wanted to save him but i guess thats why they say only the strong will survive and he was not strong enough to get himself out.

[​IMG]

10. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Oh, that's too bad. Sometimes they just don't make it and we never know why. Sometimes they live just days, or weeks. I have had chicks die suddenly and even adults with no symptoms to warn me at all, while others in the same brooder or coop were just fine and remained fine thereafter. Who really knows?
    I'm sorry, but try again. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by