Needing some direction and advice....

winterducks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 15, 2017
I have three beautiful great ducks. I've had them just since they were about 5 weeks old. I also have a son a couple dogs and we are thinking about having another baby. My dilemma is they are a lot of work and I'm worried about when the new baby comes how much harder it will be I dont want to neglect them or put them on the back burner when winter comes around. Their coop is extreamly hard to keep clean and I'm worried about the cleanliness of it if my children are running around the yard with all the poop. I was thinking of letting them free range but they are escape artist!!! I feel like no matter what I do they are getting out and trying to cross the road. Worst case scenario they get run over or cause an accident if someone tries to avoid them.....how do you manage these guys !!! I was also thinking about getting them a dog kennel to stay in, if they can't free range ..help lol. This is long sorry!!

If you truly want to keep them no reason why you can put a dog kennel around their coop just make sure you put them up at night because predators will make every effort to get them if left outside on their own. I can sure understand the stress of trying to keep up with it all especially if your thinking of another child. You might consider space and think of craigslist about kennels then maybe adding 2 together would give them much more room and make them happier. But def don't want them free ranging if dangerous roads are close by.

I have three kennels together making a 25' x 35' run. You'll need to either find a chain link with individual panels or the welded wire. The "cheaper" chain link is just a box that a roll gets tightened around, it's hard to change the size.

I used a backstop (the kind that batting cages have) to cover the top. I assumed that if it can stop a baseball, it can stop a hawk. Other smaller predators can get through, so there's electric running around it. That said, they get locked up at night.

My ducks hang out in there. I promise they are no worse for the wear.

It sounds like the coop is too hard to clean -- any thing you can do to make it easier? I was just struggling with this ("All I'm Doing is running around feeding, watering, and poo scooping"). I was able to get them on a schedule -- feed only in the morning, water changes at night, and switch the bedding from pine flakes to hay, which is working better for them. I scoop bedding twice a week (Saturday and Tuesday when I have time).

As you know, with a small kid, it's "simplify as much as possible" -- look for more efficient ways to do things, they don't need to take a ton of time with proper management of the flock and the situation.

If you truly want to keep them no reason why you can put a dog kennel around their coop just make sure you put them up at night because predators will make every effort to get them if left outside on their own. I can sure understand the stress of trying to keep up with it all especially if your thinking of another child. You might consider space and think of craigslist about kennels then maybe adding 2 together would give them much more room and make them happier. But def don't want them free ranging if dangerous roads are close by.

I have three kennels together making a 25' x 35' run. You'll need to either find a chain link with individual panels or the welded wire. The "cheaper" chain link is just a box that a roll gets tightened around, it's hard to change the size.

I used a backstop (the kind that batting cages have) to cover the top. I assumed that if it can stop a baseball, it can stop a hawk. Other smaller predators can get through, so there's electric running around it. That said, they get locked up at night.

My ducks hang out in there. I promise they are no worse for the wear.

It sounds like the coop is too hard to clean -- any thing you can do to make it easier? I was just struggling with this ("All I'm Doing is running around feeding, watering, and poo scooping"). I was able to get them on a schedule -- feed only in the morning, water changes at night, and switch the bedding from pine flakes to hay, which is working better for them. I scoop bedding twice a week (Saturday and Tuesday when I have time).

As you know, with a small kid, it's "simplify as much as possible" -- look for more efficient ways to do things, they don't need to take a ton of time with proper management of the flock and the situation.
That's a great idea! My husband just said he doesn't want a kennel in our back yard....I just feel bad that they are in their coop for so many hours a day...In the winter they didn't go anywhere now here with the warm weather they are across the street in the neighbors yard. I just dont know what to do if they didn't run away ever chance they got it would be perfect.... .

I guess your only other option would be to rehome. What breed and location are you in we have a rehoming and buy sell trade section here on BYC.And also state threads at "Where am I where are you"

Sounds like dh is thinking best to just rehome?

Yes he does want to rehome them. They are buff orpington. One drake and two females super friendly... I dont care about selling or trading they are free to a good home. I'm going to see if he will compromise on a couple kennels out together ....

I love them. He just thinks they are hard to take care of so they should be shipped off just because they aren't your average pet like a dog. It's just frustrating. I keep coming up with ideas on how to make it better for them and easier for us. He just wants to get rid of them....

Back
Top Bottom