needing some input

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by colliesworth, Dec 21, 2014.

1. colliesworth

colliesworth New Egg

Jul 15, 2014
    alabama gulf coast
    We came home a few days after being on vacation and this is how we found our sweet baby girl. this is also the first time I've had to isolate anyone. I've put her in isolation and just wondering if you have any suggestions for helping her heal quicker she's not moving around a lot and doesn't seem to be eating or drinking.

[​IMG]

2. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Can't tell from the photo...is the skin gone or just the feathers? Are you giving antibiotics? Try enticing her with bread soaked in yogurt....you may have to force her to eat and drink. If she doesn't she will be in real trouble.

3. colliesworth

colliesworth New Egg

Jul 15, 2014
    alabama gulf coast
    It's a little of both her comb is bloody and where the feathers are missing there is some Scabbing I'm not giving her any antibiotics at this point

4. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Since she is not at all interested in food, I would worry about infection and a fever. If you can't find an antibiotic, look into natural things that have antibiotic properties like aloe or Gyurna procumbens. GP was found to aid healing significantly if you can get a source of fresh leaves and it had some antibiotic action. My chickens love to eat the leaves, too.

The study has pictures of the difference it made:

http://www.academicjournals.org/article/article1380719856_Zahra et al.pdf

Here is a link on eBay for sellers if you want to try it. Get rooted plants, as it has taken forever to get my cutting to root (slow in cool weather) and only one of three actually has roots after a month!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gynura+procumbens

Get her eating and drinking and she should heal up. Any idea what happened? Other chickens attack her, or a predator? Any chance of internal injury, I wonder?

(I am not selling the GP, just am amazed at what a fantastic plant it is. I posted a thread here in BYC with all the studies and info I found.)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by