Needing some new food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Silkie Chicken, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Silkie Chicken

Silkie Chicken King Silkie

Feb 22, 2012
    Ok, I am wanting to buy the chickens some new chicken feed but i am confused if i have roosters and hens can i still give the roosters layer feed as well as the hens. Which food is the best to buy.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Best to buy flock raiser, or grower and supplement oyster shell on the side if you have roosters.

Layer feed can really damage the rooster's kidneys.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. Silkie Chicken

Feb 22, 2012
    well they are all over 6 months so should i still have to buy grower

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I've not had a problem with my roosters getting layer feed. What brand do you currently feed?
    I feed my flock Kalmbach brand and I'm very happy with it. I don't know it its available in West Virginia, Kalmbach is based out of Sandusky OH.

edit
    I get new Roos every 2 years, maybe it takes longer than that to start seeing symtoms.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  5. aoxa

They can have grower their entire life. The only thing really different is the calcium levels and possibly the protein levels. I like higher protein feed.

6. aoxa

It is not at all good for them. I'm sorry to tell you.

Almost every long term breeder I have talked to says the exact same thing. It's not good for them.

7. Silkie Chicken

Feb 22, 2012
    Well i feed them cracked corn form my feed store but now that i have learned more and more about chicken i now know cracked corn is not the best for them so i am wanting something that is way better for them and the roosters can eat too

8. Silkie Chicken

Feb 22, 2012
    what i might do is buy grower, and mix ouster shells, omega 3 and mix them together would that be ok to do that

9. Silkie Chicken

Feb 22, 2012
    or should i buy flock raiser and mix them suppliements in

10. Silkie Chicken

Feb 22, 2012
    my chickens get very much i do feed them treats like meal worms sun flower seeds grass ( I let them out everyday to get grass ) They get fruits/ Veg. like strawberrys, blueberrys, etc. Sometimes they get cooked eggs for proteine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by