Needing to add 6 new chickens to my 6 month old chicken.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by auntie hattie, Sep 28, 2011.

1. auntie hattie

auntie hattie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    We were able to pick up 4 Silkies (2-4 month old), a 4 month old Ameraucana, and a 4 month old Polish coming back from our recent trip to California. They are all from breeders that are in California. I have a 6 month old EE and a Buff Orphington. Today I am giving my Buff Orphington away because I was never been able to stop her from crowing. [​IMG] So I am giving her to a family with a rooster and I think that will help. I can't have her because I live in a neighborhood but I so hate giving her up. I have had the new chickens separated from my chickens. I was wondering tonight when I just have the EE chicken left in my coop if I should remove her and put the new chickens in the coop and run and just let her free range during the day and in a different pen at night. Then bring her back in the coop after her seeing them for awhile. Do you think that would best. I hate to have her alone but don't know what else to do. The other chickens are doing fine with each other. They have just been establishing the pecking order. Anyway just wondering if you can give me some ideas. My EE has seen the new birds as I have had them out at different times free ranging during the day.
    Thanks

2. auntie hattie

Jun 28, 2011
    I will also keep the Silkies in a 2x 3 dog cage inside of the run for a while. Then put them in the coop still in the cage at night. Just as a caution. Just really don't know if I am doing the wrong thing taking my existing chicken (lucy is her name) out of her territory and putting the new ones in. Then adding Lucy later. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Has anyone does this before. Well I'm off to take my sweet Honey (Buff Orphington)to her new family. Ugh so sad!
    Do you ever get to where you know what you are doing?

3. auntie hattie

Jun 28, 2011
    Bad mistake. I feel like i'm talking to myself. My poor little Polish.

4. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Sometimes i do too on here! [​IMG] I can't give much advice...I'm in a similiar circumstance, only a REALLY big underdog (my BO hen, she's just TOO sweet! and TOO passive) and trying to get her reintegrated with my flock after my ex-rooster tried pulling off her comb and the others thought she was a free meal [​IMG]

Did you try putting the one in a cage next to the bigger new flock for awhile? You said bad idea...did something go bad? [​IMG]

5. auntie hattie

Jun 28, 2011
    Yes. My EE just went after my new Polish. I was in the run just trying to over see things and she got to her very fast and mean. Pulled out a bunch of her head feathers and drew blood from the top of her nose. She just kepted going after her. I'm so frustrated because Lucy was my sweet one. It just seems to be the Polish she is really after and violent with. I just got Lucy to the laying age. 25 weeks. She hasn't laid yet but I figure soon. It looks like I'm going to have to give her up. I will have to start the waiting all over again. I have put her in the dog cage for now. Makes me so sad. All of the new birds are doing fine together. Other than being rattled from having Lucy around them. So bottom line is territory is a big thing. I'm never adding another bird again. I will always get birds together at one time from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by