Needing to assist chicks hatching in my Brinsea

Angie from WI

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2016
I have hatched twice in my Brinsea Mini Advance (to the factory settings) and both times I have had to assist with the hatching. The first time I hatched all 4 and the second time all 3 eggs (yesterday). Each time I had one chick that pipped, zipped and hatched perfectly on it's own. The other eggs pipped, but sat and sat with no zipping. It gets to the point where the chick is struggling to zip but seems it's movement is restricted (head cannot move but keep pecking out the pip). I let them go for 15 hours, then I begin to slowly assist chipping away the egg as they would if they were zipping. I let them kick out on their own and when they do they are fine with yolk absorbed and no blood. I am wondering if my temperature is running too high and some of my chicks are getting too large? Or if anyone has experienced this?
As far as humidity, I had the cup full of water and after the first chick was born (added a lot of moisture) the humidity was high and the walls of the Brinsea had water dripping off. Never opened it until I needed to assist.

The chick that hatched on its own are you taking it out of the incubator when it is done hatching? If so have the other eggs pipped when you take out the hatched chick?

I plan on 24 hours from external pip to zip. Their external pip hole enlarges during this time but this is not them trying to zip. They really need those extra hours to absorb the yolk fully and gather strength for zipping. I have helped chicks but 15 hours post pip, no zip, is normal. Like I said it can take up to 24 hours or so.

Back
Top Bottom