Needing to Build Show Poultry Pen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jrhbull, Sep 15, 2009.

1. jrhbull

jrhbull Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    I am needing to build a show bird pen for my daughters 4h birds any ideas or plans it needs to house 10 full size birds free standing thanks

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Usually show birds are not housed together like that I think. Is this going to be their permanent home?

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I don't know anything about show birds so can you tell me why their not to be housed together? Thanks

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I am just learning. I really need more info. Are these all pullets? If they are birds for showing this year there is the concern of feather condition. And I'm sure it depends on breed. Show birds are frequently kept penned without the 10 sq ft of space that many of us have come to accept as normal. That would be a huge freestanding cage. But in smaller quarters, its harder to keep their feathers in top condition with crowding. If they are featherleg it is more difficult. Many times they are kept in trios or quads for breeding, unless you're pen breeding, but all info I've seen on that has had them on the ground. And I'm sure for 4h birds the expectations are not the same as for profrssional show birds. Somebody with some experience in this should chime in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by