Needs advice on injured turkey poult

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TGreenhut, Jun 14, 2011.

1. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chirping

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Background knowledge:
    One of my turkey poults was born with a deformed foot. The deformed foot caused her to fall on her hock frequently hence causing her achilles tendon to slip. I tried fixing it myself using online methods but I was unable to, so I brought her over to the neighbor who is a vet. My neighbor said that the joint was infected and the chick needed to be put down. The next day when I checked the chick's leg it looked like the skin around joint had erupted and puss was coming out. I quickly cleaned the wound with peroxide and put neosporin and a bandage on it. Everyday since (about 4 days) I have been cleaning the wound and putting fresh bandage on it and it appears to somewhat be healing. But the tendon is still "slipped". And I'm struggling on a way to fix it.

I'm wondering what you guys think I should do. Does she need to be put down because I feel like she is completely happy besides the fact she can't really walk. She is able to get food and water by hopping.

2. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chirping

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by