Needy/over eater piggy chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kuki, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Kuki

Kuki Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Hi everyone its been ages since I posted, sorry new job has me crazy!

I have a very small free range flock of 5 hens. Julie, my one sexlink is very attached to me (which is adoreable and I love it) BUT she is a complete pig. We entertain alot and I hate to coop the girls, because its so fun to have them hanging around. It has gotten to the point where she'll jump up on any table in the yard and eat everything, along with stomping through horduerves with poop feet. She will sneak into the house and get on kitchen counters, ect..to get to any food at all. I don't think its very healthy for her to be eating all kinds of people food either.

The other evening I had a burrito sitting on the bed on a plate (which I was going to devour happily while watching my favorite show) and she had snuck in the house and was on the bed...she had eaten all the gooey cheese off the top, her beak was covered in beans and she was wiping it on the white bedspread!!! Ughhh....

I notice she's extra obnoxious when she doesn't get attention and if she's been cooped longer than usual.

Is this all normal? Is there anything I can do to get her to chill out with the food thing? especially at parties and BBQs...I wind up holding her the whole time, while I'm trying to entertain, because she will be all over everything.

Thanks for any input...

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] at the mental picture of her wiping burrito on the bed! Here is what I'm most curious about..... How in the world does she open doors to get in the house? [​IMG]

3. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    I would say when she acts up, put her in chicken jail. The key to this is being consistent (eg.. she gets on the table jail until you are done eating, then praise when you let her out) just holding her is offering positive reinforcement when she gets up on the table. Unfortunately as much as you like to hold her, that is just encouraging her bad behavior.

4. Kuki

Kuki Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Quote:Uhh....I have a 5 year old boy. LOL. Its a bit of a dilly keepin doors closed, but we're workin on it!

5. Kuki

Kuki Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Quote:So you think they really listen? OK..I'll try....thank you!!!

6. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Quote:But MAN! I bet your parties are fun!! [​IMG] Anyone who hosts while holding a chicken deserves "Hostess with the Mostest!" [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  7. Kuki

Kuki Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    I love my girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by