Neenah, Wi City Administrators Said What?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by bigzio, Mar 15, 2009.

1. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Today in the Post Cresent Sunday Paper was a story about a family that had 4 hens and a rooster. With the neighbors complaints they successully lobbied to ban all roosters from the city.

The owners of the flock had raised them from chicks, and received a letter from the city sanitarian that "Jake" (the roo), had to be returned to the WILD, or given to a keeper outside the city.

They found a wonderful farm home for Jake, however how many are going to be returned to the WILD and try to survive....What are they thinking in Neenah?

Where was the research before this decision was even made? These City Fathers don't have a clue, and should be in trouble for suggesting something so stupid...in my opinion! [​IMG]

~ bigzio

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Maybe the owner should have rehomed him to the citys park, that would be returning them to the wilds of Wisconson. [​IMG]

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I think it is pretty clear that they "aren't " thinking in Neenah.....

4. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Ugly you can work on, stupid is forever. In the wild? I don't think so, although chickens are domesticated WILD jungle fowl... [​IMG]

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

6. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    would be quicker to have just feed the poor rooster to a roving dog...

Them darn wild roosters!

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    How bout rehoming those roos in the back yards of certain city fathers?....

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh have mercy! [​IMG]

9. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Key West, Fla. has a problem with ferel chickens. It seems during the depression people kept chickens and when times got better they just released them and now they are over run with them. I guess Neenah has not read the story or would be worried about advocating returning chickens to the wild.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,108784,00.html

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]:lau Right, then see just how much they like wild chickens, huh?
    Exactly, WHAT were they thinking. Duh!!

tweeza, thats exactly right, and they are protected too. Maybe they should just let the small flock owner, with their chickens in the backyard keep them? I do know that roosters are loud. I had one that was supposed to be a pullet, but I was very lucky to find him a good home.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by