Negative Chicken Comments

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CitySilkies88, Apr 4, 2012.

1. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Well I got my first negative comment on my facebook regarding my chickens. Someone told me how irresponsible it is to have my chicks in a brooder in my home. And this person went on about how I will get diseases (because they are wild animals) and how I am going to get my granparents (who I visit often) sick.

She really annoyed me. Because I am extremely careful and hygienic with my chicks. I even change my clothes if I get pooped on. And that's often! Besides they are only two weeks old, they are not kept in the main living space, and they will be moving into the basement and then outside as soon as they are ready. And I know I am not the only person who has brooders or chickens in the house.

I get that she was trying to look out for me. But I hate when people assume I havent done my homework. Especially considering that I am diagnosed OCD and have real bad anxiety when it comes to germs ect. I have been washing my hands so much (because I can't help but handle the chicks) that my hands are so dried out.

People just irk me and I needed a little rant.

Do you remember your first "anti chicken" remark?

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Haven't had any anti-chickens remarks yet. But when it comes to Facebook - I like that you can just "un-friend" people so you don't have to listen to them. I do have someone that I did not unfriend - since sometimes it is better to keep tabs on "the enemy" - in that case I just lockdown the privacy settings so they can't see much of anything on my page/posts.

3. hmm...my first negative chicken comment....hmm....*thinks*....*thinks harder*....*thinks hard with eyes squeezed super tight*.....*thinks so hard head explodes*......

so, probally would be from last year when i showed my class mate Carolina my silkies foot

"EEW, IT HAS 5 TOES! AND 6 NAILS!" not sure if that would count....

4. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    Pfft people will always find something to put you down. Some people can't stand having animals inside their homes, so of course anybody who does become dumb and irresponsible in their eyes. They are projecting their uneasiness on you.

Also I'm surprised that you handle baby chicks while having OCD :D. Dealing with cute fuzzy poop factories must be helping you deal with life's unavoidable messes :).

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    There's a really snooty lady like that at my school. She thinks she's so much better than everyone else and anytime anyone talks about chickens or farms she's the first to pipe up "I don't want MY neighbors having chickens, they stink"...

She irks me SO much. [​IMG]

6. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    If that lady saw me...she would have heart failure!! My babies live IN my room. Also i kiss and hug my rooster ALL THE TIME!!! If it makes you happy to have your babies near you and you want to love on them tell her too kiss your chooks feather tails and leave you to your own business!!! AHHHH PEOPLE MAKE ME ANGRY!!! Also your chickens CANT make you sick unless you wallow in their droppings! Im pretty dang sure you dont! I get people giving me weird glances and laughing when i tell them about my chooks! Yet i have no care in the world if people like me or not! I am me and that makes me unique!! Keep up the great work with your babies i bet their happy and NOT going to make you sick!!!

7. off subject- WHiteMountains- i love your rooster! hes so preety!! what is he?!!

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    any negative comments on my animals always get the same reply...."They have more rights and more welcome than you in this property, gate's that way."

1 person likes this.
  9. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan

Ooooo , GOOD one...I like that reply .:thumbsup

10. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Congrats to the poster on handling chicks with OCD! My DS has OCD and struggles with touching anything!!
    As for people who don't like chickens? I have found that anyone who is not an animal person...tends to end up being someone I don't generally care to be around. Animal people seem to have an ability to be more friendly,down-to-earth and just over all more relaxed attitudes. They also seem more compassionate.This doesn't mean I DON'T like someone just because they don't have the same passion....it just means that usually I find we don't have enough in common to be "compatible" on a "friend" basis and I tend to hang around the animals more than people like that!

I personally don't understand people who think animals are "dirty". Well, of course they are! I don't french my dog,lay on my coop floor, or swim in my duck pools....but sheesh, they were created by God for humans to care for....says it all for me right there!

Just try to understand that the person who said that is ignorant of what an animal can do for a human, and feel bad for them as they are missing out!

Long live the chooks!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by