1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Negative teens. Can't catch my ducks! Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by colorsofthewind, Jan 6, 2014.

1. colorsofthewind

colorsofthewind New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    It's going into negative teens tonight and in the low negatives for the next few days. My ducks are freebies from the farm next door. They were wild over there. Well I don't have a pen for them. They've been living wild in my goat and chicken fence. They have some water to swim/drink but everything is freezing outside. I tried to catch them to put them in the coop (I have 13 chickens). The coop has a heater and a heat lamp with plenty of hay and water. Right now I have my 3 goats in there too (2 mini 1 large) to stay out of the cold. (Their shed tarps ripped from the wind last night, and their hay got soaked from the rain.) so my problem right now is these ducks. Should I just keep chasing them until I capture them and put them in there? It's not very big in there. I could put them in my basement by our wood burner?? Any thoughts? Advice?

2. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Leave them out. I f they are wild they will be fine. Ducks dont usually sleep much at night so they will be keeping warm by foraging around. Putting them into a room may upset their routine, but its great to see you care for them. You could try and getthem into a routine of putting them in the hen house and they may begin to go in onnights. I hatched some mallards and they acted like domestic ducks after I started putting them in ona night.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would suggest you get some help, and using temporary fence, get behind them and walk them toward the temp fence, closing it behind them. That ought to make them easier to nab. Then get them into a reasonably clean safe space. The basement may be the place for them. Depending on how many you have, a large dog crate, or again temporary fence set up so that they cannot get into anything harmful. I have used puppy playpens in the basement. Make sure there is decent air quality where you put them.

4. colorsofthewind

colorsofthewind New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    My
    There's not much to forage. There's about 6 inches of snow and we are getting more. I'm worried about the water. I have tried everything to keep their water from freezing. I just know they aren't going to have any.

5. colorsofthewind

colorsofthewind New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    I
    I only have two. I'm probably going to try and catch them and put them in a pen in the basement. Maybe then I can even get them use to me so they won't run when they see me. And start copping them at night.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feel that you are doing the right thing. Go with your gut feelings, and get them in. Try some frozen peas, or sprouted wheat berries as a treat, it takes time but they can become friendlier and then easier to get in.

The weather we are seeing is weird. It is changing very rapidly. I am glad you are not willing to leave them at risk. Get help if at all possible, getting behind them and walking them toward where you want them to go is best. Setting up a temporary outside "pen" that limits their movement when you go to pick them up makes it immensely easier to get them.

7. colorsofthewind

colorsofthewind New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    Thanks for your kind words, thoughts, and advice. Yesterday afternoon I built a pen in my basement for them. I chased them until I caught them, it had to be a funny sight. My kids are 5 and 3 and my husband was at work. I had to do it on my own. But I was successful. They are in the same room as my wood burner because it has windows for natural light. I also put a fan on them because they are use to the cold, I don't want them to start getting too hot. They are very happy, and are getting very use to me coming and going. I held the one last night while I watched tv for about an hour last night. Once she (Bonnie) calmed down I put her back in her area. She's a Runner so I have the hardest time with her. She even was snuggling her bill under my hair against my neck. I'm going to work with my drake (Clyde) tonight, he's a Rouen, so he's not as quick. I would love for them to come to me like my hens do. With all of this snow and crazy temperatures I'm afraid the coyotes are going to try to climb the fence to get them. In a way these temperatures have helped. Again, thank you everyone!

8. colorsofthewind

colorsofthewind New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    im going to look into BYC

9. colorsofthewind

colorsofthewind New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    nvr mind. im a moron. thought byc was the rescue group. but I am in the process of joining a recue group! thanks for the advice!

10. canard

canard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Colorsofthewind,

Can you or you and a friend round them up into a garage (and shut the door) and then get a big box or pen to put them on straw in the basement?

if they are docile, you could lure them with food.

A lot of supermarkets might be willing to give you large boxes. Ducks do not like to be split up at all. They get all kooky & sad. Keep them herded together, or they will freak out if separated.

I have *herded* my ducks by spreading my arms out or using spread out ski poles to *flank* them. It helps to get behind them and walk behind them to steer them in the direction you want them to go.

I am lucky, I tell my Pekin "It's bedtime" or "It's time for bed" & they willingly go, unless I try to put them to bed early & it is light out and they want to stay out & play. In that case, if I want them to willingly go to their coop early, I throw peas inside & they run in to eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by