Neglected bird's injuries?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueJaye, Nov 14, 2013.

1. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Adopted this neglected birchen Modern Game bantam last weekend.

Can you tell me whether the red parts on the shoulders/wings are an injury, what could cause them, and whether the feathers will grow back?
    [​IMG]

Also, what caused the red marks on the belly?
    [​IMG]

What can I do to get him back in the shape he deserves?

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Are you sure that's a male?

It does look like the red spots on the back are injuries, perhaps it was pecked by other chickens?

The redness on the keel (breast) looks like what might happen if a bird wasn't give a roost to sleep on.

I would definitely treat the wounds on the back with some sort of ointment, neosporin perhaps. No way to tell if the feathers will grow back or not, if the follicle has been destroyed then they won't.

Good luck with him!

3. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Most definitely a male. Thanks for your help... he has some of the worst scaly legs I've ever seen too...
    [​IMG]

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Yikes! Those are pretty bad. Time for some vaseline, perhaps even mixed with Sevin dust. Treat every day for about a week. Poor wee bird.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

For scaly leg I dip in mineral oil (veg oil works too) for two weeks daily. I have had to do it longer in one case. I agree I'd do some dusting of the bird too and repeat in 7 days with poultry dust.

For the redness on the skin I am not sure.

6. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Already did an epson salt bath, a good scrubbing, some campho-phenique for the pain, and vaseline. I don't see who people can let it get so far!

1 person likes this.
  7. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    We have an OEGB roo who had a severe case of the scaly leg mite when we found him. The scales weren't as raised as on your poor little guy's legs, but it had "thickened and crusted" on his legs and had made them feel rough and stiff- kind of like tree branches, poor fellow. We did mineral oil dip messages, then afterwards, we "floured' his legs in DE (Sevin dust would probably be better) which gave him white boots, but the slimy stuff then didn't get all over his feathers. Took awhile to heal, but eventually the raised scales were gone. Good luck and hope your boy heals quickly.

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'd worm the rooster and treat that scaly leg, and use Valbazen or Safe-guard liquid suspension at 1/4 cc orally for worming a bantam. Worm again 10 days after first dose. I've had success treating scaly leg mites with Nu-Stock topical more than any other treatment. Use surgical gloves. Massage it into the scales starting at the hock joint where scales begin, all the way to the end of the toes. I do it at night when they roost so the ointment has time to penetrate and not attract dirt. Do it 3 days a week by the looks of those legs, and it should clear up in a couple weeks. You can also apply a light amount of Nu-Stock to the rash areas to see if it improves in a day or two. Keep that rooster separate from your other birds for a month. Use some vitamin-mineral and probiotic powder in the water for 3-5 days after each worming in addition to good feed. I hope your rooster improves quickly.

Nu-Stock: http://www.nustock.com/

Avian Super Pack (1/4 tsp per gallon): http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/avianspint.pdf

Probios Dispersible Powder: http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules.html

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by