Neglected brahma

Stephh0701

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Florida
I arranges to pick up a brahma roo today and after driving 2 hrs this poor guy had what looked like bumble foot, lice, and was pretty underweight. I didn't want to leave him with the woman he was with so I paid and took him home. I've cleaned out the bumblefoot and put ointment and bandage, but I'm not sure about these lice. We've never dealt with this kind of thing before. Does anyone have a recommendation for the lice? I'm running to tractor supply to hopefully get a dewormer, he doesn't have signs of worms but it definitely wouldn't surprise me. I haven't introduced him into the flock and plan on treating everything first and quarentining him. Any helpful info would be great. Here's his bumblefoot and pictures of the lice I could get

Attachments

• 20230319_135252.jpg
    20230319_135252.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230319_135255.jpg
    20230319_135255.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230319_143743.jpg
    20230319_143743.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230319_143751.jpg
    20230319_143751.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230319_143910.jpg
    20230319_143910.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 5
I would look for Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste for worming. Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml (0.5 ml) given orally and repeated in 10 days. SafeGuard dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound given for 5 consecutive days. Look at pictures of stick tight fleas to see if that is what the bugs look like. Do they move or are they hard to get off. Lice are pale beige, and run around quickly on skin. Mites are tiny, red or black, and run slowly, while leaving bits of droppings on skin. Stick tight fleas are removed with tweezers, or smothered with vaseline on the skin.

His bumblefoot looks like a scald or burn. Wet soil and droppings could scald, but I haven’t seen bumblefoot scabs that look like that. Could he have burned his feet on metal,or asphalt? I would soak his feet in warm Epsom salts water, or Betadine and water daily, and apply a gauze 2x2 dressing with a paste made with sugar and Betadine. Vet wrap strips or cohesive tape is good for foot dressings.

I think he may have Sticktight Fleas on his head and face.
The bug under the wing looks like a louse/lice.

You're going to TSC.
I like to get Permethrin dust AND spray. I dust birds and spray housing. You're going to want to treat where ever he is staying because it's going to have bugs too.

I put dust in a sock and use it like a powder puff to powder/dust the bird, under wings, around vent, underneath them, etc. Wear gloves, a face mask because he's eventually going to shake. Work that dust through the feathers all the way to the skin. I work from head to tail, make sure to get the tail too!

Now. Those Fleas on his face. Of course dust might get in his eyes, so... Casportpony wrote an article, it's linked below. The liquid (spray) Permethrin is going to help you with those. Vaseline will smother the things too from what I understand if for some reason you can't get the liquid. You'll want to pick the fleas off, if the skin is irriated, you can dab a bit of triple antibiotic ointment.

In warm climates, it's not uncommon for birds to get various pests, hopefully you can get them under control.

For deworming, grab some Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...tight-fleas-in-poultry-with-permethrin.74325/

Thanks everyone! I got the safeguard wormer and the permethrin dust and spray. Will treat with those. We lived in Hawaii but moved and the pests here are much more severe it seem but we haven't had an issue with our flock at all yet. She had him on a bare dirt floor that has to have been wet at least a week because thats how long we've had rain now. Idk about asphalt or concrete that might have burned him. As far as I know she kept him in the run she had set up.

I arranges to pick up a brahma roo today and after driving 2 hrs this poor guy had what looked like bumble foot, lice, and was pretty underweight. I didn't want to leave him with the woman he was with so I paid and took him home. I've cleaned out the bumblefoot and put ointment and bandage, but I'm not sure about these lice. We've never dealt with this kind of thing before. Does anyone have a recommendation for the lice? I'm running to tractor supply to hopefully get a dewormer, he doesn't have signs of worms but it definitely wouldn't surprise me. I haven't introduced him into the flock and plan on treating everything first and quarentining him. Any helpful info would be great. Here's his bumblefoot and pictures of the lice I could get
He is certainly lucky to have found you! Good luck with his treatments!

Thank you... my husband is upset I've put our girls at risk for lice and mites. He said I should have left him there but I felt very bad for him. While dusting him I noticed she cut his wing feathers and it looks as if his feathers on his belly have been picked at by other chickens. He's pretty skinny too when I hold him. He looks okay size but lifting him he feels too light and boney. I weighed him for the purpose of dosing him with wormer and he's just over 3 lbs right now and she said he's about 5 months. Idk a normal brahma weight at 5 months but that seems light to me.

Thank you... my husband is upset I've put our girls at risk for lice and mites. He said I should have left him there but I felt very bad for him. While dusting him I noticed she cut his wing feathers and it looks as if his feathers on his belly have been picked at by other chickens. He's pretty skinny too when I hold him. He looks okay size but lifting him he feels too light and boney. I weighed him for the purpose of dosing him with wormer and he's just over 3 lbs right now and she said he's about 5 months. Idk a normal brahma weight at 5 months but that seems light to me.
That is very light, unless he is a bantam brahma. That'd be about right for a bantam.

Thanks everyone! I got the safeguard wormer and the permethrin dust and spray. Will treat with those. We lived in Hawaii but moved and the pests here are much more severe it seem but we haven't had an issue with our flock at all yet. She had him on a bare dirt floor that has to have been wet at least a week because thats how long we've had rain now. Idk about asphalt or concrete that might have burned him. As far as I know she kept him in the run she had set up.
He'll fill out with your care.
I'd feed him chick starter or an all flock feed.

The feet to me look like contact dermatitis, so if he was on wet flooring without being able to get feet dry, then likely that's what it is.
Soaking in a bit of warm epsom salts, cleaning the foot and appling a bit of triple antibiotic ointment to the scabs then wrapping can help them heal. Keep him on clean dry bedding. Monitor daily. If the feet seem to ooze a bit or are getting soft, then dry wrap them without ointment for a couple of days.

As for carrying lice/mites and fleas to your existing flock, it's a good idea to tend to him after you tend to your girls, then change/launder clothes. Hopefully the infestation is not too bad and you can quickly get things under control. Keep him away from the girls and quarantined at least 30 days to observe for any other signs/symptoms of illness.

Back
Top Bottom