Neglected duck...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoeyKidd, Nov 25, 2012.

1. JoeyKidd

JoeyKidd New Egg

Nov 22, 2012
    Myrtle Beach
    I was recently given a duck, that came with some problems from neglect. Appearently it was given to a teen from a future farmers of america thing and fed it nothing but bread and left it to sit in it's own feces. Needless to say it developed ulcers on it's legs, one becoming infected. He also developed niacin deficiency and lost all function of his legs. I have been feeding him correctly and giving him niacin supplements, and he's regained function of his left leg. However his right leg is inflamed at the foot joint, and can't move that hole leg (I've been doing messages and roms with his les). I was told to give him tylan, in very small doses. I have been doing this for nigh on 6 days, yet nothing. Was then told to use baby aspirin, so I've just started giving him baby aspirin to knock off the inflammation. What should I do differently at this point? The end goal is to raise a meat bird, I can't have an unhealthy duck here. Also, what should I be careful regarding antibiotics use on meat birds.

2. Onewiththeducks

Onewiththeducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Alden,NY
    Have you gone to a vet yet?

3. JoeyKidd

JoeyKidd New Egg

Nov 22, 2012
    Myrtle Beach
    I can't afford it right now, spent my budget on food/supplements/care items for the duck. I was lucky a my friend, who has a chicken flock, gave me the tylan and told me what he did with his chickens (he's a member here), told me it was okay for ducks. I have enough maybe to get a different antibiotic. But I can't afford a 150$ vet bill, not at the moment anyway.

4. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Maybe it is just me, but I don't know that I would want to use a bird that required so much medication and treatment as a meat bird. That's just my personal opinion though. I'm sure the animals that are found in most stores are filled with far more junk though. How old is he? Optimal slaughter age is pretty young and I would want him completely healed and off the medications for quite a while before I thought about consumption. I'm glad at least he is with someone who is caring for his injuries and illnesses now. Hope his treatment works soon.

5. Onewiththeducks

Onewiththeducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Alden,NY
    Update?

6. JoeyKidd

JoeyKidd New Egg

Nov 22, 2012
    Myrtle Beach
    I regret to inform that he had died, 2 days after this post. I had a huge change of heart, he had been through so much, how could I treat him as a meat bird, so I made a deal: if he makes it, he has the pond out back for the rest of his life. There seemed to be no indication he was getting worse, just as I said it seemed he was improving, I woke up on that day and he was dead. The only ducks I'm raising now, are the ones I can hatch. I have an incubator now, so come spring, I'm going to try this from scratch...

7. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Aww sorry to hear that. I had on just die for no apparent reason a while back. She was fine one day, then I woke up and she was dead. [​IMG] At least he knew kindness at the end of his life. Good luck with your future ducky endeavors.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sorry to hear about the loss. A teen in future farmers huh? Kind of scary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by