Negligence... what do you think will happen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andisgarden, Apr 1, 2009.

1. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    I watered and fed my chicks last night before bed. I woke up this morning and they were totally out of food and their water was bone dry. I added water with vitamins to help them and they drank like crazy. They were less interested in the food, it was scattered on the floor so I doubt they were hungry.

Did I kill them? I am devastated. I got a bigger waterer so this wouldn't happen but, it had several inches in it when I went to bed. I had no idea 5 week old chicks could drink and eat so much. I am filling their feeder 2-3 times a day, is this normal? I have 30 chicks.

Thank you for your help

2. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I've noticed that the water evaporates quickly in the heat of the brooder, especially if the heat lamp is aimed near it.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I currently have 2 chicks and am filling their cat food can of food two or three times a day. Granted Sam has been scratching in it and throwing it all over the brooder.
    I check their water when I walk by and so far just fill that once a day. It is also a cat food can.

My big girls get their food refilled morning and night. Water is the same this time of the year. I am getting a larger waterer shortly. 1 gallon for the 5 grown hens is not going to cut it come summer

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:They should be ok now,but try not to do this anymore.For that many at that age you should have about a three gallon waterer.It's amazing how much they drink. Will

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    30 c h i c k s will go through a lot of food and water. I have 12 pullets - 6 weeks old - and I fill a 2 quart feeder about 1.5 times and a 1 quart waterer about 3 times in a 24 hour period. Little munchers!

6. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I have 15 chicks, and there water seems to run out almost every time I go down there. I am really bad about catching it. But, they drink like crazy when I refill it, even if they still had some. I think they just like the fresh water.

I think I need to get a gallon waterer.

7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Quote:This is confusing.

Are they dead? or are you worried that they may die due to the effects of going without?

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:What type and size if your feeder? It is possible on the long tray style feeder to fill it that many times. I had 22 and one long feeder and it got filled 3 times per day. Chicks also waste al lot of food. They are not as big about picking up off the ground at that age either.

9. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm guessing they're just fine [​IMG] If they were day olds, I would have worried. But yes, chickens eat and drink a ton. It may be time to move them up to the big girl waterer, especially since you have so many.

10. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Sorry I was confusing. No, they are not dead. I am just so worried after all of this babying I have been doing for 5 weeks that I might have killed them.

I have a 1 gallon water in there and a long 14 hole tray feeder. I raised the feeder a bit and the was seems to be a little less. I raised the water last week but the birds are getting so heavy that they were knocking it over I guess I need something a little bigger to raise it on.

I didn't realize these little guys and gals would be such a messy group. The only animal experience I had is various rodents, dogs and cats. Chicks seem to be much more demanding at first. I am getting the hang of it though. I lost 2 so far and it was 1-3 days after I got them, they were both Polish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by