1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neigbors dogs VS a roo---LONG post

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MonkeyZero, Sep 7, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hiya

Here is the situation
    My neighbor has 3 dogs:
    1 chihuahua mix
    1 poodle-GR mix thing
    1 strange mutt thing

and 3 hollering toddlers...
    My other neighbors are a lovely older couple(SUPER nice) and have a dachshund who lives indoors. No barking

These dogs are INSANE. They bark at any noise. HOWL at firetrucks/siren. Bark at anything, and pretty much anyone. They bark at night and I have woken up, but never complained. And they have really no back yard, as the husbands mother lives in a house they built in the back(the dogs have a large kennel)
    [​IMG]
    Now, My long haired chihuahuas are nice dogs. THey bark ONLY at cats(which never come into our backyard anymore), and they bark at people they dont know who come into our house. Then they warm up to them, sometimes...

Now, we had a wild roo coming into our yard during for a while. They never complained about it, since it was wild

Now
    We want a roo, however, we are concerned about the neighbors. We worry that they may complain.

DO I have a say weather or not we can have a roo?
    I mean 3 dogs and 3 kids SCREAMING constantly is pretty much like having 6 roos!
    What can/should I do?
    Any opinions?
    Sorry the post is LONG and hard to understand

Thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Are chickens/roos legal in your town? IF so, go get a roo if you want one. [​IMG]

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I agree, if your city/town/county allows roos then get one. And maybe a 6 foot fence.

-Cindy in MA

4. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    This I have NO idea about
    I mean, soooo many people have them in Modesto
    Oh yeah, my fence is 6 feet tall

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    If they're allowed go for it! I live in the *middle* of a subdivision and had 5 up until last week. [​IMG]

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If you think there may be a chance they may complain then check with the town or city hall just to make sure you can have one.

If you are worried about noise then maybe consider a bantam roo. They usually aren't quite as loud.

-Cindy

7. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I plan on getting a silkie roo only. Silkies are cool!
    Would the local feed store know?
    I'll call tommorow, since they are closed...

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Call your local town hall or zoning board....they would know...

9. frogs n chickens

frogs n chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    valley springs, calif.
    Call Modesto Feed on n. mchenry; he might have an idea and he may even have a rooster for sale. He has 17 week old hybrid RR, just about ready to lay for 7.95, and last time I was in he may have had some bantys.
    My wife was raised in modesto and had chickens; don't know if she had any roos though. She lived near graceada park. ph 526-9589

10. SweetWater

SweetWater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Bennett CO
    Here's a link to your city's website. http://www.modestogov.com/ I'm still looking thorugh it to see if it says anything about chickens. But at the very least if you don't find anything out from the other resourses already givin, it lists the contact info for the city.

If your in Stanislaus County here's a link to the county's website that might help. http://www.co.stanislaus.ca.us/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by