1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbor and chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by csaylorchickens, Apr 10, 2016.

1. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    So I got 6 buff orpingtons that are 4 weeks old now. I currently have 4 faverolle hens just over a year old. I plan on keeping 3 of the 6. My neighbor wants one. They have one barred rock that's been by itself for almost 2 years now. Last time the introduced a chick at 13 weeks and they thought it was a hen but was a rooster. Their barred rock pecked it's butt bare and raw they had to separate them. I was wondering they want the Chick after its feathered but I think that's too soon? It's a mean hen so I feel 16 weeks would be the best because she would be big enough to defend herself at 6 weeks she would get beat up.
    What do you think? I was even going to suggest adding 2 instead of one so the transition would be better.

2. csaylorchickens

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    I feel at 6 weeks the adult hen would kill it

3. chickslaugh

chickslaugh New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    You have a right to be concerned. The most success people have had with introducing chickens together is when they are the same size. Chickens can't tell age, but they can tell size. 6 weeks is way to young to introduce to a full grown hen. Besides this option, is the option of introducing little couple day old chicks to a broody hen. If it were me I would just wait until the birds are roughly the same size, like you said the chick can defend itself. Hope I could've helped in some way. [​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Did they separate the last bird for an induction period (in a cage or separated by a fence)? Or did they just plop it into the coop and expect things to work out?

I would also wait until the birds are older before gifting them one (though I agree two would be better) and suggest they go with a see but not touch introduction for a couple of weeks before letting them mingle. Poor hen, been alone for two years, I'd be grumpy to if I'd been deprived of company that long :/

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  5. csaylorchickens

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop

I am not sure if they separated it or not? They seem to like chickens but I don't know if they did research on introducing a new flock. Maybe what I can do is find an article about introduction maybe from chicken chick website, and give them a print out about introduction of a new member to the flock a week before I give them the chick? They were talking about just making a whole other coop and keep them separate all the time?

6. csaylorchickens

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    But that's not good either then 2 lonely chickens

7. csaylorchickens

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop

Yeah so I'll stick with 16 weeks old unless they have a separate pin set up till it's big enough maybe that's their plan which would be great get the Chick at 12 weeks put it is a divided pin till 16 weeks or so then let them free range together for a few weeks and then in one coop by 18 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by