Neighbor boys caught one of our chickens! I'm not happy.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuulgrl, Oct 26, 2013.

1. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    I notice my husband outside looking at something on the back of our property. I follow his gaze and see a white shirt and a blue shirt through the brush. I open a window ask what's going on and all I hear is something about our chickens. So I rush to get my coat and boots and go out with him. By the time we caught up the boys were taking her up on their porch!

I hollered that they had our chicken. I'm glad they turned around and brought her to us and handed her over to my husband. They tried to lie say she was on their property with their hens, but we BOTH watched them catch her on OUR property.

I'm so MAD! We are going to go over there after my husband gets home from work and talk to the parents (hopefully). I'll play nice today because I don't want drama. I just hope the boys stay away from our hens in the future and off our property. Totally rude if you ask me. UGH!

I doubt the ankle spirals for the chickens will deter the boys, but I might just figure out how to mark them. I have lots of pictures too. Their chickens are much darker than ours too.

What else do I do?

(Thanks for letting me vent)

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Calmly talk to the parents. They might be responsible enough to handle the boys. Sometimes kids are just being kids and need some direction from their parents. So try the calm approach first.

If they get confrontational, just leave and file a police report. Don’t argue and don’t threaten. Just leave. If it happens again, file a police report. It’s sometimes amazing how a policeman explaining how the laws about theft and trespassing work can get parents or even kids attention.

You've done nothing wrong but you may be in for some hassle anyway. Vent on here all you want. Most of us understand.

3. aliciasimon

aliciasimon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    Can you build a fence around a space just for your chickens? It seems to me the fight with the neighbors will continue if the chickens have the ability to get into their yard (even though I know that wasn't true in this case). On the other hand, the fact that the boys brought the chickens to you when you hollered at them is a good sign. They might lay off knowing they can get yelled at.

4. WillowTreeLeafs

WillowTreeLeafs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2013
    Have a camera reAdy by the closest window so next time you can tape it. Then go outside and calmly ask them to put her back in the yard. (They become more scared when they know you are watching them put her back rather than giving her back to you and you putting her away. They should give you more respect this way.) if it happens again file a police report and provide the video clip.

5. WillowTreeLeafs

WillowTreeLeafs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2013
    Oh yea! Forgot to add this. Just call your neighbors. They may become irritated if you go over there! Hope I helped!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  6. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    We will do the camera thing. ;-)

I can't call them, since I don't have their number. I'll try to search their address later today. I was also thinking of leaving a note in the mailbox? Not sure yet.

My husband wants to just wait and see. He's hoping the boys were frightened, since we caught them so quick.

I think we should nip it in the bud, but I'll let him take the lead. If it happens again I'll do something.

Oh well, another story for our chicken saga. I'm really considering starting a blog. Bumble foot surgery and attempted theft in less than a week. LOL

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    You could go over and start out by first thanking the parents and kids for bringing the bird back.. may help start on the right foot. It could be your bird was on their property and the bird headed back to your's before they caught it. I would just say that you would appreciate it if the boys caught it again, to bring yours back and you'll do the same for them if their birds get out. Keep it simple and friendly!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  8. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Do not put a note in their mailbox--sticky federal law thingy. I think a polite conversation is best--let your neighbors know how much you love your chickens and depend on them. I would also get leg bands to mark your birds if they look close to your neighbors. Good luck.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I seem to love playing devils advocate--

If the neighbors also have chickens, is it possible they thought one of their birds was on your property and were trying to get it back without bothering you or you getting upset their bird was on your property? It could have honestly been mistaken identity--kids aren't known for their judgment!

I've actually done that, I heard a bird thrashing on the neighbor's side of the fence and assumed one of my birds somehow got over there. It was dark, I couldn't see the bird well. My neighbors didn't have birds to my knowledge, so I slipped over there and got the bird. The neighbor saw me and asked if I wanted their rooster. It turned out I'd caught the roo their mom had brought over earlier in the day! I was pretty embarrassed, and actually wound up keeping the roo.....another story.

I'd maybe approach the parents that way---like the kids just made a mistake, and how that might be handled in the future--if they think one of their birds is on your place, to come to the house and see about getting her back, you won't bite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by