Neighbor complaining

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbd3um1, Oct 8, 2015.

1. nbd3um1

nbd3um1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't know what to do. We live in the country, moved here to do what we are in building a homestead. We have a rooster and 9 hens. The rooster is a crower who is waking up our neighbor (a day sleeper.) He says he has foam in his windows, fans on, you name it. This morning was the second time that he has come over asking us to do something about it.

Really! What can I do besides slaughter him? It frustrates me very much because we love having a rooster, but don't want to seam uncompassionate to the neighbor. Any ideas? My hubby and I are on pins and needles now every time the rooster crows. :-(

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Have you considered an anti crow collar? I watched a video about them on YouTube and they really do quiet down a rooster's crowing.

3. negrita

negrita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    alamo texas
    wow thats crazy!! I would just ignore the neighbor or give him a present of earplugs or something and deal with it

2 people like this.
  4. Millermarine

Millermarine Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Ohio
    If you live in the country and there are no laws against having farm animals of any kind, then I would recommend telling your neighbor you are sorry but crowing comes with the territory when you have chickens and Roosters. I guess it just depends on how much you want to tick off your neighbor or are willing to stand up to him.

1 person likes this.
  5. nbd3um1

nbd3um1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    I have heard of them. Been looking into some this morning.

6. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    If your chickens are on your property and you are zoned to be allowed to have them, then you can choose to do nothing. You're not doing anything wrong. I suppose you could try moving your coop setup as far from your neighbors house as possible. Put barriers between your yards like a privacy fence or some shrubbery, but I wouldn't. When I moved out to the country, I expected to hear, see and smell farming. And I do. Your neighbor has the wrong expectations for country living.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    I've never liked the idea of the collars. In the city, I might consider it an option, but out in the country, no way.

8. Millermarine

Millermarine Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Ohio
    Agreed! I live in a small subdivision outside of a small town. When I first decided to start chickening I checked into the zoning for my subdivision. I was lucky! My little cul-de-sac was zoned farm while the rest is zoned residential. I recently had a new neighbor move in from NY, NY. He is very city and made several comments about my chickens. My response was "Welcome to rural country living in Ohio"...

9. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I remember reading a letter to the Editor many years ago. The people were complaining about the pollution coming from the farms in the area. They had contacted government officials and no one was taking care of the problem. By the way, they had just purchased a house an a rural area that preserved as the farmers all gave up their rights to sell to developers.

The pollution they were having problems with? The farmers were putting manure on the fields. The people who bought a house next to farms couldn't deal with the odor of organic fertilizing.

10. jrjoplin

jrjoplin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2015
    Bridge Creek, OK
    I was a day sleeper for years. It is unreasonable to ask your normal scheduled neighbors to change to accommodate your schedule. There are numerous things he can do to reduce the noise that comes through his windows/walls. Your rooster crowing is no louder than a barking dog or a lawn mower. The next thing will be not doing yard work when he's trying to sleep or simply sitting outside and talking. We all try to be good neighbors but we move out of the city for a reason and no one should expect you to compromise the life you want to live to make their sleeping schedule tolerable.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by