1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbor confirmed it, Owl is a Roo.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommy 2 Wee Ones, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    After weeks of wondering, and looking a pictures of GLW. My neighbor who was watching our chicks overnight came over yesterday & said, "You do know Owl is a Roo." She/He has a rose comb, the waddles, and in the last week has really shot up & got bigger all around. Out of my 10 first litter of chicks, Owl was the hardest to catch, hardest to hold (my daughters held her/him anyway)[​IMG]
    Last night I saw the green glossy sheen of his tail feathers, and I have to scold him from time to time when I try to pet him, because he has pecked. And he gets a tap on the beak and a firm no no no from me.
    But Owl has no issues with our new puppy Sophie (chiu/jack russell) who is 9 weeks old. She is very happy to roam around the run, Owl looks at her, but no one chases her.
    So my dear Owl has a harem of 14 up and coming hens.[​IMG]

This was taken July 3rd. We are much bigger now.

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:You have a hen based on age already and the fact there aren't any saddle or hackle feathers growing in. Thats a great photo but if you can get a photo of that size of a full side body shot it would be better to judge?? Right now it is hen looking...

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:You have a hen based on age already and the fact there aren't any saddle or hackle feathers growing in. Thats a great photo but if you can get a photo of that size of a full side body shot it would be better to judge?? Right now it is hen looking...

x2...

4. Ilovetohatch

Ilovetohatch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    It says and green shine usally means male.

This was taken July 3rd. We are much bigger now.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I have tons of girls with green sheen-ANytime a birds had black feathering-there will be a sheen with good quality birds. My black Ameraucana hens are sooooo black with tons of green sheen [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

And my BA hen has tons of green sheen in her black...beautiful. Can you get some up-to-date pics???

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    What a great name he has. His comb is very large and red at a young age, I'm pretty sure your neighbor is right.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How old is that bird?

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Could be just the lighting, but in that pic I see a darker red coming in on the shoulder.. that to me would mean roo. I know with my wyandottes, that was the early clue - the saddle feathers came much later. But yes, pullets can have green glossy feathers also, depending on the breed!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by