Neighbor Dog Attacked Another Bird

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chemew, Dec 8, 2011.

1. chemew

chemew Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    My neighbor lets their roam roam free all day and today she attacked and killed another bird - #3. This one was a guinea that flew out of the coop while we were gone. Normally they are fine out by themselves but not today. What can I do to protect my birds? I'd rather not clip their wings and I don't want to take away from their free ranging time. Now I'm nervous about letting them free range with the neighbor's dog wandering around. There aren't any fences between us and our neighbor's house.

Is there a breed of guard dog anyone can recommend? Maybe a fake "shock" chicken to teach the dog a lesson?

2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a leash law where you live? here there is and neighbor would be responsible for your bird

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    The neighbor is responsible for keeping his/ her dog on their property. Was the guinea killed on your property or the neighbor's? It could be tough to prove.

Realistically, you need a fence or your birds will never be safe.

4. KandiandJerry

x2

5. chemew

Aug 10, 2011
    we live out in the country so I am willing to bet there is no leash law I could point too. We got back home just in time to see the god kill the guinea at the neighbors house. We ran over as quickly as we could but couldn't stop it. There were feathers everywhere.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:That is what I was afraid of. There probably is a leash law somewhere on the books but it won't help you if the birds go into his yard. If you could prove the dog came on your property, the neighbor would need to replace it.

7. KandiandJerry

they should still be responsible for there dog... I would have a conversation with them or local law and see what your options are especially if that is the third one it killed....sorry for the loss

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm sorry about your loss, but if your birds keep going to his house, the dog can kill them all day long and theres nothing you can do. Now if the dog comes on YOUR property... thats a different story, and you have a leg to stand on...

9. chemew

Aug 10, 2011
    the birds didn't go to his house - they actually never leave the immediate area of the coop / run. Their dog carried the bird over and it tried to get away....

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think you need a fence between you and the neighbor or fence in a yard for your birds. I know Guineas are good flyers. I think you would actually need to photograph the dog with a bird on your property. Someone I know had a dog killing their chickens. When the people went to tell the owner of the dog, he told them it wasn't his dog killing them, so they got a paintball gun and put some yellow paintballs in it. The next time that dog was in their yard after their chickens, they shot at the dog with the paintballs. The owner of the dog happened to be a cop. I'm not saying shoot the dog with paintballs. I don't know if it is even legal to shoot a dog with paintballs.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by