Neighbor dog got loose, went after chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jeffross1968, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So, I see my neighbor drive by, then stop and get off his 4 wheeler and come into my yard. Just about then, my kids start calling for me. That's when I found out they were driving by and their hunting dog jumped off when it saw my chickens, and went after them. Luckily, all but 1 came back. It's been over an hour, and my brown leghorn is still gone. Problem is, the darn dog chased it down into some very thick briar patches, and I can't get down there. No way, no how. Not without some serious machinery.

Guy never stopped by afterward. I went up to his house, and he's up there chopping wood. Didn't seem to care. Told me I should pen up my chickens. I told him I'd be defending my chickens, in my yard, moving forward. He didn't like that. Was my turn to "seem not to care". Probably down a chicken. I know it's part of owning chickens and free ranging them. But it could have been prevented by keeping the darn dog tethered as they drove by.

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    keep a gun handy for times like that...

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Your chickens were on your property, his dog was not on his. He was in the wrong, not you. Amazing how many folks would love for YOU to take responsibility for their screw-ups. [​IMG]

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    it can take a couple hours before the bird comes out. Going in trying to find them can actually scare them more and it'll take longer for them to come out.

Tell your neighbor that it is legal for you to shoot any dog that is attacking livestock. Also tell him that you will be giving him a bill for any damages done.

Or, just call the Sheriff's Dept and have them come out and give the neighbor a warning. Sometimes they don't want to believe it until they get told by someone "official"

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:x2

He should of penned up his dog. What a jerk! I hope you find your missing chicken soon.

6. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:x2

He should of penned up his dog. What a jerk! I hope you find your missing chicken soon.

x3

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    It's been 2.5 hours now, and it's getting dark. I fear the worst for her...

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    One of mine spooked over something the other day and it was dark before she came home. Bed time did it. Best of luck.

What a jerk of a neighbor.

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well, I locked the coop up with the chickens inside, but left the run open. Not sure if that's the right move or not. Left the porch light on in case she comes looking...ugh...really angry...

10. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Well, HIS dog should've been on a freaking leash! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by