Neighbor Dog got our chicks

mrsbeez

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Well, we bought chicks in April...they were getting so funny looking with all their feathers starting to come in. We have been keeping them in the garage while we build the coop and run....but while they were outside with my son this week, the neighbors' husky ran into our yard and killed two of them. It was so sad. My son tried running him off, but couldn't save them. He thought it had gotten 3 of them, but I found one hiding in the grass.
The dog came back into the yard and I was so mad I grabbed some river rocks and threw them at him....only one hit him...but it just so happened that the neighbor dad was here trying to catch the dog to take him home...and there I am pelting him with rocks.
Oh well, if I'd felt sorry I would have apologized.
Then a few hours later, two huge coons got into the cats' cage! So I slammed the door on them. I thought I could trap them in there for a few days and teach them a lesson so they wouldn't come back, but they chewed the wood and broke the chicken wire and escaped. So I have no idea how to keep these chickens safe from all these killers in my yard.
boo hoo. I am feeling pretty sorry for my son and I.
26409_img_1665.jpg

26409_img_1662.jpg

26409_img_1640.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so sorry! I know how it feels to put so much time and energy and love into them and have these things happen, I hope your son is doing ok.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
Sorry you've had such a terrible day. Dogs and coons seem to be the two biggest threats to our chickens. The answer to both seems to be fencing and sturdy coop design, using 1/2 inch hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. Chicken wire only seems strong enough to contain chickens; predators seem to have no trouble chewing through it. Hardware cloth is much stronger . . . hope you can prevent this from happening again. Good luck!

Well, we asked the hardware man about the chicken wire keeping the coons out and he said, "sure it would". Ha. My husband said get the other wire like you said. But I didn't....so now I guess I'm back to the hardware store.

How do I add a photo? I uploaded them, but don't know how to put them here so you can see the coons.

WOW! What a day. Sounds like security is the word for the day.
Strong coop, strong fence and a few words with the neighbor.

ps. Raccoons don't learn but one lesson, their last.

Sorry for your loss and hope things get better.

Last edited:
I just uploaded them here some place. Above these posts it has a bar and upload is one of the choices. That is `where I did it. But I don't know how to attach them to this post.

When you're on the uploads page go down to the bottom right corner. There's a link that says "my uploads". Click on it and it takes you to a page with your pics. You just copy the link below the picture you want then past it into a post.

Back
Top Bottom