1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbor dog killing my chickens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kinniburgh, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Kinniburgh

Kinniburgh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Hey, I'm best friends with my neighbor and her husband is also great. Recently, the house across the street went up for sale and her brother-in-law (husbands brother) bought it. I had 5 new red star that are 10 weeks and out with 6 BR every day to free range. I stay at home and have fenced in a huge portion of our 2.5 acres for the chickens and some new gardens. Well, the new neighbors have a little yippy dog that has now killed two of my babies. The first time I was in the yard and couldn't catch him in time as he chased the girls around. This week he found a place he could slip through the fence caught one and then rested beneath one of my apple trees to pluck it. I'm so mad and hurt and don't know what to do as they are related to my best friend!!?? The worst part is he hasn't even acknowledged my loss. Both times it was just his kids home and they told him. The first time he yelled across the street, "hey I here i owe you a chicken!?" This time he has said nothing.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Find out the dog laws in your county/city--most are online. Print out a copy and give it to him. Tell him the dog will not be back home if it gets onto your property again and that he owes you $20 for each dead chicken up till now.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If it happens again, wait until he's home and talk to him about it. On second thought, don't wait until it happens again. When he's home, go over and say, "I don't know if the kids remembered to tell you, but your dog killed another one of my chickens." and proceed to tell him that you would appreciate him keeping the dog locked up. If he mentions owing you a chicken again, tell him that you appreciate his offer of comensation and name your price. Until then, beef up your fencing, and maybe look into running an electric fence around the outside of your exsisting fence. Don't drag your friend into the middle of it - deal with it yourself. If you bring your friend into it, you'll be the bad guy. Family will almost always trump friendship. Don't threaten the dog unless you intend to follow through.

4. Kinniburgh

Kinniburgh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I was wondering what a fair price would be...thanks.

5. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

6. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    As Cynthia said, $20.00 per pullet... [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ask him how he would feel if you had a pet who ate HIS dog. Tell him that that is how you feel about his dog eating YOUR pet. Be polite, but firm. Tell him that it is his RESPONSIBILITY to keep his dog contained on his own property, not running loose through the neighborhood. You might mention all the predatory animals that are nearby that WOULD eat his dog. Assuming that you do not have exhibition line birds, then $20 or so seems reasonable, but you might want to mention to him the cost of some exhibition birds that you have thought about getting (even if your thoughts are that there is no way you would pay $500 for a chicken).

8. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Dogs have accidents too! There once WAS a dog that harrassed live stock in my neighbor hood.................... Just sayin

9. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    shoot em the second you see him on your property.

10. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    It depends on how comfortable you are with talking to the neighbors.... If you like the people, by all means work it out on a friendly basis. If you don't know them at all or don't know how to approach it, turn the matter over to animal control. Let them know about your losses and the problem dog. If you catch the dog in your yard again, tie it up and call animal control to come get it. If it keeps coming back and owners are irresponsible about containing it, try a paintball gun first. Send it home nice and colorfull. If it still keeps up, there is always the SSS method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by